Graphic-card to hot?

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
ayu
Staff
Staff

Graphic-card to hot?

Post by ayu »

Let's say that my fan stops working on my G-card, and i start a game like World of warcraft or call of duty.

When the G-card gets to hot, what happens?

My friends computer freezes and restarts when he has played for about 3 minutes, and i thought that it may be the G-card that is to hot. Because we have checked the other units and they seem ok, but there was a unit that the program we were using for checking temp, could not identify, but the temp on the unit was like 100 C (wich seems unlikely but i don't want to take any risks)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bennybill
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by bennybill »

Woooo that quite high tbh are ur fans working or something, or dust.Theres a program on here that checks the temperture on ur comp but for got name Sorry :?:

B3^

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, well, if the g-card gets too hot it could cause the freezes and reboots...check if the fan is running, remove and clean it... :wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Definitely check for dust. While you're at it, check for dust in the CPU Heatsink Fan.

I'm going to assume that your friend is lazy: Tell him to get a can of compressed air and clean his computer every month or two.

Worse comes to worst you can always buy a heatsink fan for a graphics card online.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thanks for the answers, il post when i have tried =)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, also make sure that it's a few inches away from walls and stuff (3-5 inches, 6-8 cm) so that the case has proper airflow. Generally, you want a clean air environment, so smoking around your computer's not good either. A good place for a computer is near a window that is often opened and closed, that way it gets fresh air from outside and can cool off.

[moved to hardware forum]
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

well restarts can also be due to overclocking in some cases, and heating is also a result of overclocking, i helped a friend overclock his processor, and it heated so much that we installed a liquid cooling system and now it works great and its cool(pun intended), well cooling reminds me of another awesome technology called vapour compression cooling, if you use that you can overclock your processor upto 1 ghz and the running temperature is -35 deg C,but that ofcourse is very expensive

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

We started up the comp and ran a game, and discovered that the G-card fan wasn't working ^^ , so we will be changing that today =)

Thanks for all the help and tip

bennybill
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by bennybill »

so its working alot better then 8)