w00t, my first business CMS done!!

Questions about programming languages and debugging
pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

w00t, my first business CMS done!!

Post by pseudo_opcode »

Hey everyone,
finally my hard work paid off, i just finished coding my first business CMS, coded with PHP and MySQL,
i just need to apply a template, i just need to put several variables on normal html page and we have a compatible template.

Now only testing is left and little tweaks, so if anyone plans to learn CMS design is welcome for tips 8) , it was a cool experience, i learnt how big problems can be solved so easily and how a small problem can turn into a massive one.

Since it is for a company i m not releasing the code publicly but surely if i code the modified next version, it will be open source.

Anyone other business proposals?

*gets ready for menace-games

alien100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by alien100 »

well done keep it up :wink:

_Sonic_
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by _Sonic_ »

can i see a screenshot?

www.yahworld.com

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I coded a partial CMS for halo3countdown.com, but that was just a news management system and the website design. I basically made the whole website... hehh. The only thing i don't like is that you use SQL, but i'm a Flat File Database type of person, so yeh... heheh, good job!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

well i havnt done the design but, all the coding, it includes, page creators, product catalogue, shopping cart, feedbacks , newsletters, user registration etc.

regarding SQL, flat file database may be ok for small to medium projects, but just when your data will grow it wont be efficient, SQL allows you all three forms of normalizations, including all (one to one, one to many, many to one etc) relations. So no matter if we have 10000 users and there data or whatever, SQL can store much more like images and binary data, and much better exception handling.

Thats the reason why all big CMSs use MySQL :wink:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Heh, just wait until i prove you wrong. I've never used MySql.. ever. I'm also currently coding some forums using a flat file database... heheh :P

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

I wrote

Post by maboroshi »

I wrote a small CMS one time but it wasn't really that complete basically you had to use phpmyadmin to edit the content which was fine for my client

I have a question for you

how did you get the database to recognize each page I used an numeric value and did something like $pageid = 1 in the database code so it would know

not the most efficient

So any advice would on that would be great ;)

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

well, i took a little different approach, since my client wants good google ranking, i made a table to store the page name, so that he enters the name of page during creation, i know its weird but its very good for search engine bots, a bot crawling your site will definitely give higher ranking to page sony laptops than page_id=1 if someone searches on google for sony laptops
:wink:

although this approach will result in database being bigger but per record the difference would be a few bytes.

but most CMSs do this thing, they just have those topic ids and thread ids and all, thats why dynamic pages dont get good ranking!!Dunno why maybe its tradition(or books teach that way) or opensource systems are growing on the same core and nobody wants to take so much pain of changing the core just for SEO

still i have tried to keep the most of the static content out of DB and hardcoded in HTML pages to ensure good SEO, i'll be doing more tweaks but i m not gonna reveal all my business tricks.. hehe

Thats why there was a need for custom designed CMS
i dont know the google's exact algorithm but i have read some books on SEOs and done some work plus common sense... so i came out with this

@gogeta, ok man i agree mysql is crap, you're genius, i'll take your word for it that flat file dbs are good, for me its a matter of personal choice :wink:

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

My 2cents :
Flatfile usage makes rendered ( or to be rendered ) markup a complicated household on the machine ; one would at the end indeed opt for a well structured database.

( text is not richtext is not ANSI/ISO, whereas in a database : it can be assigned / defined / modified )

.. but still, out of nostalgy, i admire coders that can write wikis and CMS using flatfiles :-)

O.O.HAND : Good job Pseudo_Opcode ! :-)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I will agree that SQL does have it's benefits, however, it's so much easier to exploit, and when someone spams your site (like my blog) flat file databases take the win... Anyway, sql is helpful when you get HUGE databases, but i usually split the information among files, as to keep file sizes small.

It's also harder to code things using flat file databases, as it takes alot more brain power to imagine how that array's gonna turn out...

Anyway, good job!

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

damn i hate sounding like an ass but to be fair to sql, spam protection can be implemented with SQL too, without any probs,

look at the pseudocode(no pun,its a term) of both the instructions, the best and worst case running time of accessing, reading,writing,editing,updating data is lesser in sql than files, only one instruction per action doesnt mean its easy but its efficient too, and constructing queries from multiple tables(due to normalization) into one result isnt as easy as it sounds.

Still i'll say its personal choice, both are good for me

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

I Know I'm I Bit Late But What The Heck I'll Still Say It Anyways. Congratulations To pseudo_opcode And Gogeta70 :D :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]