radar detector

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

radar detector

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 08:15, edited 1 time in total.
Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the apples in one seed. ~Robert H. Schuller
God is the greatest.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

What i have *heard* is whenever you suspect that there are speed guns, if you switch on vehcle's lights it interferes with the speed gun's wavelengths and thus speed isnt detected, another thing i heard was if you can earth the vehicle, like a small metal wire touching the ground, it can surely prevent guns from detecting your speed but there's risk of fire in it, due to heat generated due to friction.

p99
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by p99 »

The headlight thing doesn't work. Put radar guns on your car to "cancel" the waves does not work. Putting anything on your car to block radar doesn't work.

It probably depends on the radar. Infa-red radar is the most popular and police are switching to it from microwaves. I suppose it's possible to detect some type of radiation but that's not likely to go far enough for you to slow down in time.

They most likely scan for a large range of frequencies that police use. If "this and this, and that" frequency is strong in signal there could likely be a cop nearby. But that is just a theory.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

A Radar gun emits a signal then receives the “bounced” signal giving a measurement of speed. It not only receives, but receives and filters out the noise of the reflected signal. Radar is a wave; like everything in existence, but particularly radar is set to a desired frequency, amplitude, and phase that can not be easily degraded. Everything emits waves of some sort and can in turn be filtered (polar lenses for example on sunglasses, EQ’s on a car stereo system or even cell phones and a walkman filter undesired signals). However, often a filtering, muting, or degrading of a signal is difficult or at least sloppy.

Radar detectors will notify you that you just got clocked or someone in front of you just got clocked. Consider that the wave is traveling in the realm of 186 million miles per second. This tremendous speed is hard for anything to avoid, so the fact that the radar detector detects it means that the signal has already been sent back to the police officer. While the Radar signal (wave) is being sent back from its origin your 100 dollar radar detector is still calculating / processing if - then statements. By the time it beeps you “HEY” the officer is starting up his patrol car.

Grounding the car or using other devices will have no effect on the signal (radar). Remember it is measuring a bounced signal - sort of like the color of your shirt. Light is bounced off of your shirt and thus gives its color; can you ground your self to not show the color of your shirt? Radar is light waves too just at a frequency we can not see with the eye. All one could hope for, is that the officer is aiming at someone in front of you and you’re detector say “Hey” causing you to slow down in time. Nothing has been successful except very expensive and non-practical devices that the military uses, i.e. stealth technology. People have tried aluminum foil, paints, strobe lights, and many countless devices that are in the order of a home remedies in my opinion. “You and I can still see their shirts.”

It is possible mathematically to invert the signal in effect canceling it. For example adding cosigns and sign values will result in zero, or as if the wave never propagated. However you would have to know the amplitude, wavelength and phase its being broadcasting at. This is difficult to achieve even in a lab environment.

During my schooling we had a train run by the school, so we tried to make a device that inverted the trains rumbling (sound wave). It was so loud. However we quickly realized the problem of a Doppler shift and trying to lock on the phase of the train. This same principal is what happens when you want to mute a radar signal. The world is to analog, too many variables are involved. You are speeding and the officer is or is not moving, you are in a truck or motorcycle, is it raining or sunny. This can all affect an attempt to mute a radar signal. In my opinion I would just broadcast noise across the entire wave spectrum (stated earlier as a sloppy attempt). Kind of like farting during a nuclear explosion – not even the person next to you would hear it. Of course this would piss off everyone around you and would almost require a lot of power. Serious consequences would defiantly result from the sloppy method.

Just don’t trust a radar detector. Police can even bounce a signal off of billboards and around corners. You can use a detector to inform you how lazy a cop for not coming after you, or for court purposes in the USA.

IF you have ideas on building a radar destroyer / muter let me know ill assimilate the information and help on developing it. Maybe all we need is some 500,000 dollar per gallon black paint from the stealth bomber to absorb the wave in an effort to avoid a 300 dollar ticket.

PEACE

:lol:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

ok, well i was too lazy to read floodhound's post, but i am sure it had a lot of usefull stuf :)

I just wanted to say that radar detectors help, at least in US. I dont know how exactly they work, but the the good ones(around 400-500$) will tell you if there is a cop around you and will also show you in which direction. THe cop doesnt necessarily have to be clocking your car, it can be someone in front of you... it still works. Plus when you drive around the highway, sometimes it tells you that there is a cop car in front of you, even if the cop is not clocking anyone. I guess it just picks up some weird frequencies of their radios, cuz sometimes the thing goes off when you pass a particular model of a car. And it also goes nuts if you pass by supermarkets, and stuff like that.

Its really useful if you go at speeds above 90 mi/h cuz they might charge you with reckless driving on top of the fines.