KVM switch

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
ayu
Staff
Staff

KVM switch

Post by ayu »

I was thinking of getting a KVM switch for my precious boxes, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about quality on the screen when using one, because i heard from some friends that i shouldn't get a cheap one because the screen quality will probably suck :?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, depends on the screen resolution. if your screen is 1024x768 at 85Hz (which is kinda standard nowadays) already a cheap switch should be good enough....but the higher the resolution/frequency the better the switch should be, else you'll lose display quality. some manufacturers (at least the good ones) give information about the max. screen resolution which is supported without losing quality.
:wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:well, depends on the screen resolution. if your screen is 1024x768 at 85Hz (which is kinda standard nowadays) already a cheap switch should be good enough....but the higher the resolution/frequency the better the switch should be, else you'll lose display quality. some manufacturers (at least the good ones) give information about the max. screen resolution which is supported without losing quality.
:wink:

ah ok thenks ^^

RNA
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Re: KVM switch

Post by RNA »

neo130 wrote:I was thinking of getting a KVM switch for my precious boxes, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about quality on the screen when using one, because i heard from some friends that i shouldn't get a cheap one because the screen quality will probably suck :?
Ive got a $50 D-Link one, its perfect besides logitech and their blasted refusal to support KVMs.

Ive got no issues on screen quality, running at 1280x1024

ayu
Staff
Staff

Re: KVM switch

Post by ayu »

RNA wrote:
neo130 wrote:I was thinking of getting a KVM switch for my precious boxes, and i was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about quality on the screen when using one, because i heard from some friends that i shouldn't get a cheap one because the screen quality will probably suck :?
Ive got a $50 D-Link one, its perfect besides logitech and their blasted refusal to support KVMs.

Ive got no issues on screen quality, running at 1280x1024
Awesome, was thinking of running at 1280x1024