really good AV/firewall

Problems? Post here...
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

really good AV/firewall

Post by bad_brain »

I had to do a full new install if my system, and on this opportunity I wanted to get rid of Norton Internet Security which I've been using for years... :oops: so I looked around a little, read some reviews and focused on 3 things:
- low resource usage
- good AV scan engine
- highly configurable firewall

at the end I had 3 candidates: NOD32, Kaspersky 6.0 and McAfee...
NOD32 is occupying too much resources, and for some weird reason I don't really like McAfee, so I installed Kasperspy first, and hey, I LOVE IT! :D
only 2 processes are running (and not almost a dozend like in Norton), so the system is still really fast, the firewall is well configurable (but it takes a little until you know how).
the only negative point is that the full system scan is taking pretty long (2.5 hours for about 1.000.000 files), but that's not too important imo....after a first full scan you can even exclude all scanned files so that only new files are scanned next time. it's also very easy to exclude potential "bad" files you want to keep, they are not automatically deleted like in Norton.
so: 9/10 points yet, I'll post here when I experience some annoyances... :)

hij-h-acker
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by hij-h-acker »

yeah...you're right badbrain...i too had norton...later put in Kaspersky..and i think u shud try Quick Heal AV too.But kaspersky takes a hell lot of time 2 scan....
and about firewall...again Zonealarm slows down the pc...Outpost or Sygate works pretty well...

alien100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by alien100 »

Kaspersky or Avira for a low resource usage antivirus
and Zonealarm Pro Firewall

i am using Kaspersky and Zonealarm Pro and my pc is fast, i also use avira on my other system and its great and free .. :D

conclusion:
Avira or Kaspersky and Zonealarm Pro for a low resource usage

if u need registration pm me :wink:

and if u use zonealarm pro right it will not slow down your pc

here are some mem usages :

kaspersky = 11260KB
zonealarm = 5012KB
avira = around 15908KB
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

right hij-h-acker, the scan takes a while...but Norton seems to exclude a lot of files, on a full system scan it scanned about 750.000 files on my system, but with Kaspersky a little more than 1.000.000... 8O

thanks alien, but we all know I'm a good guy and buy all my software... :-99
oh, and I checked for the memory usage of Norton, the AV alone is already 50mb...and the firewall even more... 8O

zer0Dose

Post by zer0Dose »

im suprised no one mentioned nod32. i use it and dont have problems...is this AV just not heard of much or something i should know about it?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, like I said in my initial post, NOD32 was also one of my candidates but I heard it's occupying more resources than Kaspersky and that's why I tried Kaspersky first. what are you experiences with NOD32?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Why not build Suck-o's own anti virus? without all the extra shit....i mean an AV that doesn't demand much from the computer =P
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

neo130 wrote:Why not build Suck-o's own anti virus? without all the extra shit....i mean an AV that doesn't demand much from the computer =P
That guy has some awesome Ideas sometime...
Im a bit shy to say this cuz i cannot really code myslef so i wouldn't help at all, but if the master coders here starts an AV project... Well im gonna start Using AVs the second its uploaded on the server and im gonna love it!!!
lol anyway, this would be great imo :D

zer0Dose

Post by zer0Dose »

bad_brain wrote:well, like I said in my initial post, NOD32 was also one of my candidates but I heard it's occupying more resources than Kaspersky and that's why I tried Kaspersky first. what are you experiences with NOD32?
i couldnt be happier with nod32. scan time is pretty moderate. nice feel and interface

m1d

Post by m1d »

Have any of you tried Blink? It's a firewall, IDS, identity theft prot., antivirus all in one. Now having all that stuff does consume a portion of the cpu etc. but I still highly recommend it because I've had nothing but good experience/protection from the piece of software

Oppconsulting

Post by Oppconsulting »

I have two machines to reload I just Dug back up my Amd 3000 and retested every sqaure inch of it to find out what the hell the problem was!!!! quess what a 40 gig hard dive one of those newer whatever brand smaller things was causeing tons of crashes and problems On this Amd looked like the Amd was toast I tested it with test board test software everything clean bill of health now running with sata 70 gig and the dammed thin runs so sweet wow never in all my years ran into that crap!!!
Like my ranting post in the vista section this new pcs are crap and shit very picky and problemmatic anyway I now have two pcs to fresh start from and I useally use Zone pro it is reliable and good when you know how to set it up Dont trust any norton crap except Ghost

redphoenix

av/firewall

Post by redphoenix »

am using avira, zonealarm pro, system mech 7, and cfosspeed. and they're great! only you have to turn off the firewall of cfosspeed and let the zonealarm do the blocking... avira is good and already has a rootkit scanner. and system mech for my pc health status.

shamir
Computer Manager
Computer Manager

Post by shamir »

did you just bring back a another old topic stop doing this please. :roll: