Opensuse 10.2 Help wanted

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
pcmsadmin

Opensuse 10.2 Help wanted

Post by pcmsadmin »

How to install programs on the system ???

Im a total new user of unix, and i need badley help to install some programs on the system.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Go to the... "start" button, or chameleon, or whatever... Then, under "Computer", to go "Administrator Settings," or YaST. Then, type in the root password and press ok. Then, in the window that pops up, click on "Online Update". Also, you may want to add more repositories to your list, which you can find on opensuse.org.

Have fun with SuSE 10.2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

pcmsadmin

Post by pcmsadmin »

I tryed, byt then the opensuse intalled all to a map.

That i asking for is how to install a downloaded program into open suse and how to make the program run when the opensuse is booting up from my mashine !!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

to run the program on startup simply add a little script into /etc/init.d containing the command to start the program:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
command &
and to install an app...well, you can get the source files (usually in an .tar.gz package which is extracted by tar -xzvf name.tar.gz) and do the good old
./configure (if available)
make
make install
make clean

or you download a precompiled package and use your package manager for a local (and not remote as usual) install....

and better do what gogeta said and run the updates via Yast regularly, vulnerabilities and bugs are fixed that way....and installing stuff through Yast is the easiest way, especially for beginners.... :wink: