Why most hacks/cheats doesn't work on World of Warcraft

About your favorite games!
ayu
Staff
Staff

Why most hacks/cheats doesn't work on World of Warcraft

Post by ayu »

I have been playing WoW for 2 years, not playing anymore though and i have been banned 2 times because my curiousety over the game functions. Lately i have seen a lot of sites trying to sell hacks for WoW saying that it will give the players 9999999 gold and 99999999999 stat in game. And in 9.5/10 cases....this is fake...because the people who knows how to do this, DOES NOT PLAY WOW. So i have written a small half bad basic tutorial about it. Please tell me of i missed something.

:::Why most hacks doesn't work on World of Warcraft:::

By: Neo130

Everyday i see at least 10 different posts on different sites saying something like "Hey check this new hack out! it gives you 354353 gold on WoW and it only costs $43" followed by some kind of "proof" like a screenshot o something. Now, seriously this is mostly bullcrap, and to explain why i will tell you how it all works "basicly".

Theres 2 parts of world of warcraft, one is the "Client" (your game) and one is the "Server" the place where you connect and play. On the client theres all the models and everything that you can see on your screen while playing. There is also cordinates, so that the Client can keep track on where you are and therefor showing you your characters location on the screen. On the server there is all the data about your account and your last location and so on and everything else regarding the games functions like events and such (won't go in deep because it doesn't really matter in this case). There are a lot of different so called "hacks"

The first one is the hacks you often see on cheatsites saying "buy this and you can get 4543 gold" aka the client side hacks. These hacks/programs changes values in your computers memory where everything is temporarily stored when you are playing. Like if your X cord is 1 and your Y cord is 2, you can changes these, therefor forcing your char to another location (speedhacking or teleporting). But the cordinates aren't the only thing that is stored in the memory during gameplay, no far away from that. All the values that you can see on your screen is also temprarily stored in the memory. Like your gold and your stats, but as i said, they are stored there so that you can see them. The values that matter are stored on the game server and then sent to your client when uppdated. As in if you change the value in the memory, it will only change in your client, not in the server. All the other players will still see your regular values even if you change them clientside. If hacks like gold and stat should work, you would have to change the data on the server somehow and you would either have to edit the packets (random encryption as far as i know, as in editing the packets is useless) or "hack" in to the server and find your data and change ut. And since the security is rather high on this game then a regular player with no "hacking" skills what so ever would not be able to do it. There is also the "exploits" aka bugs in the game like if you have a quest that you can only do once but if you do that and that during the quest it will cause a bug and freeze the quest making it possible to do the quest over and over.

Anyway, a small conclusion.....

1: Bots, programs that control your character and grinds for you. There is a program in the WoW client called the warden that checks running processes and if any processes injects into the game and so on. Using Bots will get you caught sooner or later.

2: Client side hacks like changing gold location and stat only works visually for you, no one else can see it. I think the speedhack and teleporthack works because the server checks for your location all the time. But, this is also detectable by the warden, and i am guessing that the server has some kind of way to see if you move unusually fast or teleport from a weird place without causing cooldown on an item like the HS.

3: Packet editing is useless unless you come up with a way to mimic the clients ways of sending the packets or something.

4: Exploits, if you ever find one then don't tell anyone. Either keep it to yourself and use it for profit or be a good guy and tell Blizzard so they can patch it, making the game a better place for everyone.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

dooo
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by dooo »

When client side hacking came into the talk i thot about my friend the memory editor (my fave is Tsearch) it may only show on youre screen but take a screenie and show to youre mates and their gobsmacked so it is still pretty cool :P

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

dooo wrote:When client side hacking came into the talk i thot about my friend the memory editor (my fave is Tsearch) it may only show on youre screen but take a screenie and show to youre mates and their gobsmacked so it is still pretty cool :P
tehe yeah true ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"