direct connect.

Problems? Post here...
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

direct connect.

Post by visser »

i am a newb. just gonna put that out there.
i have two computers. both are connected to the internet through one Ethernet card and the other Ethernet card connects the tow computers together. i was wondering if i could share files between the two computers. i tried to create a new connections under the view connections of the control panel. it didn't work (thats why im on here) so i was wondering if anybody could help me please!!! i really need to be able to share the files between these computers very very fast!!!!!!!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

See if i get it right....both computers has network cards and one of them has 2?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

visser

Post by visser »

both computers have two Ethernet cards. i got a crap load of hardware from my uncle (used and old but still works if you have more than one computer to keep you occupied)

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well if the two computers are connected you could try entering the one from the other. right click on a folder you want to share and press "share" or whatever it says. Then (on the other computer) press Start and Run, then write \\ipadressoftheothercomp\folderyouwanttoshare

example: \\192.168.0.45\afolder
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

If i remember correctly you'll need a crossover cable to connect the two computer directly.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

ddb
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by ddb »

neo130 wrote:Well if the two computers are connected you could try entering the one from the other. right click on a folder you want to share and press "share" or whatever it says. Then (on the other computer) press Start and Run, then write \\ipadressoftheothercomp\folderyouwanttoshare

example: \\192.168.0.45\afolder

thats what i do

and it works fine
[img]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/5636/userbar148080yl1.gif[/img]

visser

Post by visser »

this is really pissing me off. i can not get it to work. ive set up networks ive tried everything. i took what you guys/girls have told me and yet nothing is working!!! the start then run thing sounds good. i type it in. it comes back with something along the lines of the network path was not found!!!!
what do i have to do

and thanks for all the help you guys have given to me!!!! ive appreciated it all.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I remain fairly sure you'll need a cross over cable if you are not going to be using a router and just plugging them into each other.

If i remember from college a crossover cable is just like a regular cat5 cable but 2 wires are crossed over inside, hence the name.

I wont get into specific details, mainly due to my lack of memory on the topic, but it has something to do with the way the packets are sent and received.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

right floodhound, for a direct connection you need a crossed cable. when using a normal cable the "send" output of one box is connected with the "send" output of the other box, same for the "receive" inputs...and that's why it can't work....in a crossed cable those 2 wires are simply crossed so "send" is connected to "receive" of the other NIC.... :wink:
if you already have a crossed cable simply ping one box from the other one to see if there is any connectivity at all...

visser

Post by visser »

sweeeet. well i plink with electrics most of my time. so if anyone knows the send and receive colors of the Ethernet cable that would be pretty bad a. cause then i could just make one with all the extra Ethernet i have around!!!

i appreciate your help everyone!!!

UPDATE: i did find som plans on the net on how to create a crossover cable. i created on and uccessfully connected my computers. im planning on in the near future creating a tut on how the heck to do this!!!
but it does work. and at a speed of well really fast!!! it says 100 megs but thats probably affected by my processor speed