whats the next step?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

whats the next step?

Post by computathug »

k here goes....

first off all i have done a lot of reading / testing etc and have found plenty of things useful tools, tips and tutorials. im teaching myself vb and which i hope should only take a few weeks as its very similar to basic which i learned yrs ago writing progs on spectrums lol, idea being to work through the challenges thats set.

so instead for now ive been using the programs and followed posts from previous members. by the way the friend who i am doing these tests with to learn for our own security of course is also a new member of your forum so we both have permission to test each of these exploits etc.

1 used ip sniffer to netstat ip whilst file was in transfer
2 hve done a port check to c which port(s) were open when messengers not on line and found 1 port to be open.
next is to exploit the port. so what is the best way to go about this ideally install a notepad where i can type a message for example nothing malicous

thanks again for being very informational to everybody's needs :))

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Well, after this there's no written guide. Basically, hacking is all about thinking outside the box. For instance, if you can connect to the port. See if you can find out what's running there. Also, check how it handles input of special characters (such as null). Try a buffer overflow as well. Think of every possible way that you can make the program behave in a way that it wasn't intended. And if you even find a minor bug, think about how you can build off of that and make it into what you want. However, this may take a lot of time, and may not always lead to what you want. Basically, you have to work with what you've got.

Good luck ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...