How can YOU become a Hacker.

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

How can YOU become a Hacker.

Post by Nerdz »

Hi everyone,

It’s been approximately 8years since I got in contact with my first security issue… My brother installed a trojan named NetBus on my computer and was having fun with it. I didn’t have any anti-virus or whatever. I thought Dr. Watson on windows was an anti-virus(What… he looks like a doctor no?) and he couldn’t find anything. I panic and delete every file and folder… Then, the computer wasn’t booting anymore :? . So I decided to learn a bit about these magic thing and play this with my friend.

Well, this is how I got into the famous world of computer security. Since, I have read severall book on « How to hack». If I can give you an advice, this is a good start to get a FAST summary of all different topic in computer security.

So, to become a REAL hacker, the first thing you have to do is define what is a hacker in your own words. People would say it is someone who use things the way they weren’t mean to be use. You know what? This is bullshit! Don’t stick someone else definition to this word, stick your own. If for you a hacker is someone who send trojan and hack their friend, then do so. Most of the time people will call them script-kiddie or skiddie(lazyness ;) ) but hey, we all have to start somewhere aren’t we?

Now that you have define the word hacker, you need to fix topic of interested. It doesn’t mean if you choose to try to hack website, you can’t hack application later but we all need to start somewhere. I would suggest you to start with one topic and follow it. I used to try a lot of different things at the same time and doing this, I wasn’t able to finish one of them completly(If your not like me then go ahead ;) ). When you think you got your subject, get a tons of tutorial, ebooks,etc… about your topic so you can learn some stuff about this. Don’t forget, google is your friend. You will find most of the thing you are looking for with search engine. Just don’t be afraid of doing complexe research and even reading some article on How to use a search engine.

Usually, when you are asking in a forum the famous question : « How do I hack …? » you’ll get most of the time 3 answers ( excluding all the flames ) :
1. You should start to read everything you see on the net, get in the download section and read tutorials.
2. You should start with HTML. It is not a programming language but you can achieve something nice in no time and then get into programming.
3. If you are asking, your never going to be a real hacker.
So which one of these answer is good? Well both 1-2. Keep in mind that there is nothing magic in computer. When you log yourself on a Windows machine, there are a lot of process behind the interface running to authenticate your username and playing with token. So just keep in mind that there is nothing magic about computer and it will be fine.

Now that you have chosen your topic, you should fix youself long time objectives. Learning something new, depending on the person, can take days,weeks,month. So fix youself short time objectives to so you can be satisfy. So you want to hack into what? Web application? Then start making website and try to attack them. Why not attacking them directly? Because if you do so, you’ll read papers on how to be able to attack website A and if there is a new website B and no one has ever published an article about hacking these kind of website, then your stuck. However, if you know the structure of a website, you have more chance of knowing it weakpoints. You can use the same method for application. Create a application and create mistake on purpose(like outbound array) and try some stuff such as entering more data than it can handle… :)

Now that you know this, you’ll want to try out your « hacking » method on real apps like webserver or commercial application to hook the system of someone right? Then what are you waiting for? Setup a little home network and do it on your own computer. Why? Because if you try to attack a webserver, it might log ALL the attempt you try to get into the machine and you could get in big trouble. Samething apply for the application hacking. If the user on the other side use an IDS(Intrusion Detection System) he can monitor all your attemps. So get a cheap computer, install linux, install the application want to hack(get the exact same version) and attack this box. You don’t know how to use Linux? Congrat, you are just about to learn a new OS( Operating System ) there are plenty of tutorial on linux… Again, Google it ;)

Now, you want to get into the real deal and start to show WHO’S THE MASTER! May I ask you why? You did some website or application before didn’t you? So you know how to build them securely and effectively. You also know how much time it took you to learn all this so you say to yourself : « I can hack them to show them I know more and to punish them to build crappy stuff without testing them ». You are right but why should you attack them? Why don’t you send them a email with the security hole you found? This is where you have to take the decision to be on the DARK side or on the WHITE side (kidding). You’ll read here and there that there are 3 hats : The black,white and gray hats. These hats are suppose to describe the intention of a hacker. As an exemple, a black hat can attack everything, a white hat is most of the time the one who will email the compagny and the gray hat, well it depend on how he feels. This is also bullshit! There is no black or white. Only different gray some darker then others.
Now, you should know a little bit more about « hacking ». This is your decision to do whatever you want but always be aware of the consequence.

P.S. : Don’t do this for fame… If you read through media, you can get the name of some the best hacker but keep in mind that the elites are never found.
Last edited by Nerdz on 05 Apr 2009, 14:41, edited 3 times in total.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Great read!!!! Thumbs up!!! :lol:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

Feel free to comment, I won't be mad :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Some good writing there dude ^^
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

yea, nice sort of guide line to how to be a hacker. :wink: but I have to say, when you mention programming, you said
2. You should start learning programmation and begin with HTML.
HTML isnt a programming language, its a markup tag for websites. Normally someone would want to learn this to get a rough idea of how programming would work or how you can format a page or somthing. I just had to say that because alot of people get mixed up between programming langauges and markup stuff such as HTML, XHTML, or CSS. I even know a friend on this board who claimed she was a hacker and programed in HTML! I laughed to myself when she said their was a virus she saw coded in HTML!!! :roll: Sorry if you get a little mad for me correcting but I think the people should know the truth. HTML ISNT A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE! :wink:
[img]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/ebrizzlez/4lsint1.jpg[/img]

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

I know it's not :wink: the only reason why I wrote this is because in my experience on security board, when this question is asked, lot of people point out html because you can achieve result really fast and you don't need to get anything else than a notepad. You think I could change this for which real language? C++, C, PHP, Java or maybe some precompiled stuff like Visual Basic?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm....imo it IS a programming language, just a very specialized one. and the limited abilities make sense, because the browser is acting as "interface" to a huge network and so theses limited abilities act as security measure.

but well, on the other side you're right: you can't code a virus in HTML... :lol:

edit: ok, seems I was wrong...
The HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is a simple data format used to create hypertext documents that are portable from one platform to another. HTML documents are SGML documents with generic semantics that are appropriate for representing information from a wide range of domains.
it's only "representing" information, not processing.... :-k
Last edited by bad_brain on 17 Apr 2007, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

yea, its just for the completely new people to know the difference. I constantly hear that HTML is a language from newbies and its just not. They claim there real good programmers, and I ask what they program, they say HTML. Its just a common mistake between beginners because they read articles that state "You can start programming in HTML because its a real easy language to learn!" :roll: I just had to point that out though, for the begineers to understand. :wink:

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Wikipedia says:
HTML, short for HyperText Markup Language, is the predominant markup language for the creation of web pages.
so in a way.... yea....its a type of programming language... but not necessiarly. :wink:

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

2. You should start with HTML. It is not a programming language but you can achieve something nice in no time and then get into programming.
There :wink:

This is live chat :P

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

Hey, thanks, now it looks more poltically correct. :D And maybe most beginners wont get as confused about it. :wink:

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Re: How can YOU become a Hacker.

Post by pseudo_opcode »

nerdzoncrack wrote:P.S. : Don’t do this for fame… If you read through media, you can get the name of some the best hacker but keep in mind that the elites are never found.
Yep.. thats why noone has ever heard about me and a few others here... 8) lmao..

And when you become powerful enough, automatically you would start respecting others' work too(unless life screwed you badly or you're a retard..lol)

And i agree with nerd... that everyone is a grey hat, its just the shade, maybe lighter, maybe darker,
if i can hack a site then i dont think i can resist myself from attacking a site who may have done fraud with me or a person who may have tried to harm me, knowing the fact that it is wrong...
lol hacking for self defense :lol:
just like you learn martial arts....

shadowlord

Post by shadowlord »

thnx..dude..
you've inspired me..........
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

j_arpit003

Thanx

Post by j_arpit003 »

Hey thanx a lot dude!!
u`ve certainly inspired all the newbies to hacking!!

r00t321

Post by r00t321 »

nice post :wink: