What keep you away from linux?

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

What keep you away from linux?

Post by Nerdz »

I just want to know what keep people away of linux... Fear in a lack of knowledge? Not being able to play your favorite game? What are your reason?

So we can help you for a softier switch :wink:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I play a lot of games ;/ also i am afraid that if i want to program on Linux i wont be able to use it in Win :/
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

For the games, I've heard(never test it tough) that there are some emulator but you can never get the same performance as a true windows box. That's why you need to do some partition or have 2hd with grub or something else...

For your programming activities, it all depend in which language you are programming. C++, C, Java won't change anything... (C++ depend on the librairie you use) Forget about Visual Basic... There are some workaround but anyway, as I said, it depend on the language you are working on :wink:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by isapiens »

even if you dont use linux as much as windows its a good saving tool. I always have a partition for linux, and when windows fails again i can always login to linux and get by until i fix wndows.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

One word: Games.

Other than that it really doesn't matter.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

things i hate about linux(but that doesnt keep me away from it)
1.flimsy device driver support(especially latest graphic cards)
2.cumbersome bluetooth compatibility
3.Need to compile every proggie(cant just click on next...next, but still it has its own advantages too, and the package managers...but still)
4.I m not a photoshop artist, but still my work demands me to use photoshop(and dreamweaver sometimes) and gimp is too weird..
5.I dont like to do things via CLI especially when they can be done with point and click, maybe its considered elite but for me its all about saving time..
6.i dont run any server so stability, robustness,load sharing capabilities etc dont really matter to me.
7.We dont find any video converters and compressors for linux so that i can put videos(like pr0n) in my phone, and even if i do find, at compile time i m told that i need to download and compile 100 other libraries, which cannot be found at a single place but i have to search them manually.
8.Detecting my phone in linux is another issue which is mission impossible forget installing it.

But i these are not the reasons which make me hate linux, i'd rather say that these are the reasons i still use windows.
Linux is still better to me and i love it. And it has more plus points than -ve ones...

p99

Post by p99 »

Nothing keeps me away but here's my beef with it.

I always have problems with older hardware being compatable. IE: no sound drivers on the face of the planet!

And I cannot for the life of me figure out how to detect and mount usb devices such as my psp! :cry:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

p99 wrote: And I cannot for the life of me figure out how to detect and mount usb devices such as my psp! :cry:
this is how it's done in Debian (on other distros the device name might be different):
usually it mounts USB device automatically, and the first USB device is named sda....so simply go to /mnt/sda and you will find the files there. if it's NOT automatically mounted all you have to do is mount sda :wink:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Oh, I figured this out just from SimplyMEPIS: SATA hard drives are also recognized as sda and not hda.

p99

Post by p99 »

Nope believe me i've tried that bad_brain. I also tried the first 1/3-ish of the devices listed in /dev

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

what distro, p99?

p99

Post by p99 »

Ubuntu 5.10.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm...what an output do you get with

Code: Select all

fdisk -l

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

- common law keeps me running windows. It is every where on every machine and 90 percent of every thing related to a pc is windows oriented.

- drivers are not a worry for me but laziness is. I am 1000000000.12 times faster on windows vs. linux because i have tons of experience.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

RNA
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by RNA »

Hmm, the thing that keeps windows on my computer is gaming, but I duel boot.

As far as programming, look into things like wxwidgets libraries, GUI windows that work in Win/Nix/Mac, they have C++ and C#, dont know what other languages it supports.

I also run VMware on my Linux so I can test things for windows through that. Virtual PCs are definatly awesome :P

alot of programs do have precompiled downloads, though I only compile from source if the option is there.