installed linux problem

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

installed linux problem

Post by computathug »

k here goes once again ya gonna hear a lot of me i can see but hey im a willing learner what can i say !!

now i had win xp home sp2 on my laptop which i have been usin to experiment on or from which ever way but my problem is i have installed debian from the link posted off badbrain in some one elses post which now having installed cannot boot from xp again as i dont have this option at boot up so have i now formated and replaced xp or is it still there. im not that bothered if i cant get xp bk as ive been saying i wanted to try linux for a while now and can still seek advice on windows from other pc so no big deal.

also i figure that linux runs in much the same way as windows if using the desktop and have also accessed the web np which made me think "dam i got no av or firewall which is a big no no if in windows so i unplugged from network and came to seek advice. which shud i be using and what other precautions should i take? any help appreciated tx

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

When you install linux on the same drive as windows, I think it overwrite it :(. You don't really need anti-virus for your linux box because there aren't a lot virus for linux anyway. There are a LOT of different distro,version and when a virus is done, it is patch right away(the kernel not the program like antivirus) so it is really secure... Try our download section in the linux section. You might find some usefull stuff... like Snort :wink:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

thanks for the quick reply mate. k thanks for clearing my mind about the virus's as i did wonder and am gonna enjoy playing with this. like a kid with a new toy lol

k i have downloaded nmap but as im not clued up with the gui where do u start or use the command prompt so that i may make the install complet as windows was command prompt or cmd in the run box. k now i look really thick :oops: and tx again

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, you XP installation has not been necessarily overwritten...it depends on how you have partitioned the drive. go to /mnt/hda1 and look if XP is still in there (simply use ls to list the files)...if the XP files are still in there only the master boot record (MBR) has been overwritten and you can restore it by booting from an XP CD into recovery mode and run fixmbr. but usually Debian notices XP and creates an entry in the bootloader, so the chance is not too good and you might really have overwritten XP... :?

and for nmap there is a GUI, but imo there is no real use for it, so best use it in command line.... :wink:
here's a quick example for an namp scan:

Code: Select all

nmap -P0 -A 123.123.123.123
-P0 means "don't ping the target", this is helpful when the firewall of the target filters ICMP packets (ping is one).
-A means "(try to) identify OS and service versions"
this is a very basic scan, but it gives you already a lot of info about the target system.... :wink:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

tx b.b, ive gotten pretty familiar with the cmds for nmap over the last few days and understand i need to type in cd \\ blah blah but where do i instert the text. i presume i open 1 of the shell prompts under applications or shud i download something else? sorry bout this guys

or even more so could someone use msn with me just for 5 mins to run through the basics. cheers

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

simply type it in a shell.....I don't know how many people use MSN here (I don't), so feel free to join our IRC channel... :wink:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

cheers again bb any chance of the name of the irc channel pls

ok update ...

now i feel like im getting somewhere,
this linux is a bit like lookin into a pc for the first time and thinkin oh shtum.
loads of wires cables and dont know where to start :oops:

well i get very impatient and smash things up a lot but through a little bit of trial and error my laptops still in one peice :D

anyway to cut things short ive found the shell on deb (xterm) which ive been running through a few commands for example
cd/
ls
cd bin
ls
cd blah/

and now cd /usr and am really really starting to like this

ya know like when something starts goin how ya want it to it makes all the effort worth while

as i was saying if i wasnt interested in what your site is offering i never would have found you and in the last week or so have learnt so much through reading past topics and trial and error of ure programs etc.

and in your humble presence i only hope that i can return the favours one day and maybe be of use to someone else. all i have to offer u guys is how to watch free sports via the net :oops: lol

1 last thing, is cobol never used these days - cant remember much of it as it was 10 yrs ago at college i learned it but wouldnt take me long to pick bk upon? never did pascal but wud av liked to if i hadnt been kicked out lol. oh well thanks guys and gals keep up the gd work :wink:

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

I would suggest you to read this : http://www.suck-o.com/modules.php?name= ... it&lid=332

I started it yesterday and it is not really complex and get the main topic. Really nice :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

the channel is #suck-o on irc.suck-o.com, you can also simply connect using our web client by clicking the IRC block on the start-page... :wink:

the link nerdzoncrack posted is a good one, a lot of basic commands are explained there. Linux also has this nice "man" function where you can get many infos about pretty any command...let's say you want info about the ls command, simply type man ls and it'll display all possible options...works for almost any command... :wink:

nice to see you're beginning to have fun with Linux, keep going! :D

and well, I've never seen a Cobol program yet, but the language still seems to be active and used, here's a good place to start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBOL

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect

Post by Nerdz »

computathug wrote:1 last thing, is cobol never used these days - cant remember much of it as it was 10 yrs ago at college i learned it but wouldnt take me long to pick bk upon? never did pascal but wud av liked to if i hadnt been kicked out lol. oh well thanks guys and gals keep up the gd work :wink:
I think cobol is mostly use in Bank and for transactionnal sutff. Because lot of people who knows cobol are about to retire themselve, they keep teaching it in some school :)