Usb problem when dirty reboot/shutdown

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Usb problem when dirty reboot/shutdown

Post by Nerdz »

When I shutdown or reboot my linux machine by pressing the shutdown/reboot button, when I then get into windows XP, all my usb stuff aren't reconize by the system.

Then I boot in linux, make a clean restart/shutdown and everything works fine.

I understand this is cause by the dirty shutdown/restart but why? And is there a way to reenable the usb without having to boot back in linux and then perform a clean restart.

The reason I sometimes make a dirty shutdown is because yesterday I tried to install the latest ubuntu(7.04 feisty somethin) and when I did start/install it load something with a progress bar and when it's finish a see a yellow/orange screen and my mouse. I can move the mouse so it's not frozen. I will try the alternate cd(which is a command text installer) when I'll get back to home and I just want to know if I get the same problem I have to do a dirty shutdown... Because I will have installed it on my 2nd drive which is currently Debian(I use it to boot in and out to repair the usb device...) so I won't have debian to help me...

Anyway I still have a bootable knoppix so I guess it unmount the usb as well as Debian...
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hmm....could me a mainboard issue in context with Linux... :-k I once had a case where a root login wasn't possible (not even locally), and after updating the BIOS the problem was gone. but it's just a guess, instead of flashing your mobo now you should better get rid of the "dirty reboot" habit and use good old shutdown -r now command... :-99

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I know but like I said I didn't had choice... All I had was a mouse and a orange screen... nothing else :?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.