Now this is XTREME Overclocking!!

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Now this is XTREME Overclocking!!

Post by eppik »

Finally!!

I've recently bought a new pc.

INTEL Core2Duo E6300 2Mb cache and 1.86Ghz
2x 2GB DDRII 667Mhz dimms (dual channell)
ATI Radeon X1950Pro (not the best arround)
Thermaltake TT 2 (CPU Cooler)
ASUS P5B-e Plus (MB)
320GB HDD SataII

Now if you know me well you know i cant stand slowness so i got started in overclocking, against all recomendations e Boosted the CPU to an amazing 3.03Ghz on the first day i got it.

These are the settings:

CPU running @ 1.4volt (instead of 1.3v) @ 3.03Ghz

Memory dimms running now at 800Mhz (more, arround 830 but i cant remember exact value) and at 2.1 volt instead of 1.9volt

The ATI really disapointed me as i discovered to be the ONLY, and ONLY graphic card not overclockeable using either ATI control panel or ATI tools
(i cried)

My CPU Cooler costed an astonishing 9€ (lol) but hey! it keeps my CPU at 30º (the motherboard is at 31º) wich is pretty incredible (cheap things dont usually suck you know..)

Drawbacks:;

My Northbridge is VERY, VERY hot to the point i cant touch it, it is also true for the SouthBridge but it ist that Hot,

Now i'm a cooling Freak so my CPU cooler does 48dB (also i have a tunnel that connects the CPU fan to the outside trought the lateral plate wich really helps cooling) + a old CPU fan to push in air from the lateral plate almost 6000RPM!! (down part cuz i need to get air to the Graphics card) + a 23dB Red and blue LED almost 3000 RPM to get the air in from the front grills + a OLD but good 90mm Dull Fan wich makes lots of noise but together with the 560Watt power suply fan retrieves the hot air from the CPU (believe me, i shut down this fan for 5 min and the Temp boosted to 45º)

Future Hopes:

I'm really pissed of at the 667 Mhz Memmories cuz i cant push the CPU to 3.8 Ghz with these funbusters, i'm gonna get some 1066 Mhz Dimms, to be able to do that. So in the future i have the hopes of getting to do a SUPER Pi run of under 15 secons (this one did it in 19.128 seconds)
(if i could just get my hands on some liquid nitrogen i would be the Happiest Overclocker in the world [to push the CPU over 4.5Ghz!!])
Considering that my CPU costed 180€ and the Extreme edition used to cost 987€ and had 2.8Ghz (but 8mb cache) it came really cheap, to get faster than that!

What do you think?

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

If you want to push the limits then go for vapour compression, 5 years from now a computer was made and the processor was overclocked 3 times, ( dont remember name, read it in the magazine) and the processor ran at amazing -35 deg celcius 8O

Check this out

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

weirdo... :lol:
I've been into overclocking too for a while, but for me the problem is that you either:
- shorten the lifetime of the system
- have to use expensive cooling devices to avoid this (watercooling for example)
- or get a damn loud system when using conventional cooling

I really recommend to use active cooling for the northbridge, first it'll increase the lifetime of the mainboard and second it'll increase the processing speed.. :wink:

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

What i think is if you can afford it..
Then go for it!!!
Hardware is a passion for some people.. just like people spend on their cars... one can also spend on their computing machines..

eppik

Post by eppik »

Ive just closed every unused Hole or grid in my box so now the pressure is HUGE.

The only holes open are the ones for Connecting stuff and the FAN Holes.

I've almost doubled the dB of the box and it sounds like a car Turbocharger lol

I got a 6000RPM Fan for the NB, just too lazy to ruin the black paint of the cooler

RNA
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by RNA »

Sweet OC man!

My Opteron 165s are running at 2.7(give or take a bit, my PC is running at 2.7 and my server a bit slower)

ulysse

Post by ulysse »

The ATI really disapointed me as i discovered to be the ONLY, and ONLY graphic card not overclockeable using either ATI control panel or ATI tools
(i cried)
.... Maybe you should consider switching to kickass company Nvidia :wink: i would like to see performances of an O'clocked 8800 GTX on dat comp 8)