Laptop Screen Broken

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Laptop Screen Broken

Post by isapiens »

So my laptop screen broke....

Basically someone closed the lid while there was smth on the keyboard, therefore there is a huge black spot int he bottom right corner and wierd lines all over the place.

I dont have money for a new laptop.... Does anyone know how much it costs to change a laptop screen?

I dont have any warranty on this laptop, its 2 years old. And if i manage to get a screen will i be able to change the screen myself?

I googled this obviously and got some prices and tutorials but i was wondering if anyone on suck-o actually successfully completed this task.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yes I have accomplished this a few times. It is fairly common for laptops screens to go up against objects and lose. I usually start by checking ebay for a replacement. Keep in mind that if you are to do this your self you will need some room and time. Ff you never took apart a laptop before be slow and expect a few extra screws left over (shit happens).

Most of the time you can remove the molding above the keyboard and underneath will lye the hinges for the LCD screen. This keeps you from dissembling the whole laptop. The molding typically un-snaps out of a tight fitting bezel right below the LCD or above the keyboard. NEVER Force things and it should be an easy swap.

good luck and have fun. It is not so scary and you learn from it.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Chaos1986

Post by Chaos1986 »

Also Look Into Wikipedia For More Help I Would Help But I Can't This Is Out Of My League Sorry. All I Can Do Is Wish You The Best Of Luck. :wink: :twisted: :evil:
If Man Made It Man Can Crack Or Hack It & If You Want To Be A True Hacker You Need To Keep Your Mind Open And Always Be Willing To Learn
[img]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/9996/chaos19862ub.png[/img]

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

Ok finally i had some time to buy and areplace my screen. I bought it from ebay. Although it was supposed to be brand new, it had some little stain that wont go away, but its hard to see so i let it go. I was also pretty happy cuz its native resolution is 1680xsmth which is larger then what i had before 1280x by smth. It looks much better!!!

However, i was very disappointed when i discovered that my hard drive went bad. There is a bad sector. However, although i managed to install windows one time it keeps giving me the blue screen of death. I think its doomed.

So i guess i will have to buy a new hard drive. I want to buy it from newegg.com. But i just wanted to make sure that i want ATA-6 not ATA-150. (parallel vs serial, in that order?)
I think i have a parallel connection but not 100 percent sure.

God damn it i am poor, someone give me all your money so i can buy a new laptop. Thanks in advance ;)
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yes, ATA-6 is parallel and ATA-150 is serial...but don't confuse this with the serial and parallel ports, that's something completely different.
the connector for ATA-6 is like double the size of a regular IDE cable (80 pins instead of 40) while ATA-150 has the usual small S-ATA connector.

isapiens

Post by isapiens »

Wo HO Ho!!! I am pretty happy again. I got my hard drive today. ITs working great. I decided to go with a relatively big one, 160GB. Thats a lot for me ccompared to the 60Gb one i had before. Its seagate and its freaken quiete as hell.
So cheers, thanks for help, i think i am back to normal.
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

welcome back to the real world... :lol: :wink: