problems with tutorials/compilers

Questions about programming languages and debugging
Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

problems with tutorials/compilers

Post by Swan »

Ok, well I have neo to thank for all his patience with me so far, and all the other members who have helped me with my various problems.

I have realised that my programming learning is impeded my one crucial factor. The damn tutorials or rather, the code they provide doesnt work. It seems to have parts missing, or just doesnt plain work.

For instance, a C++ tutorial gave some practise code for variables ok? Only thing was, it didnt declare or even mention the damn CIN function!

Ive been trying to learn Python as well, and again some problem with that, though i cant for the life of me determine what the problem is heres the python code:

print "Halt!"
s = raw_input("Who Goes there? ")
print "You may pass,", s

The first line of that gets executed, the rest doesnt. :?

Basically, my question is, how can I ensure that i am getting all the proper information, or the correct information? I am really keen to learn, but learning is getting severely retarded by not actually being able to validate or solidify my learning.

I have read over a few tutorials for both c++ and python to try and fill in the gaps, but it seems, all too often, that the gaps are the same for different books.

Its like learning to drive, with no damn car, or the car doesnt start up. You cant really test out your newly acquired knowledge.

As I said, and I must emphasise this point, I WANT to learn. I dont want spoonfed, I do want to work, but I humbly request, some help as to proper/efficent tools.

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Re: problems with tutorials/compilers

Post by ebrizzlez »

baron_samedi wrote:Ok, well I have neo to thank for all his patience with me so far, and all the other members who have helped me with my various problems.

I have realised that my programming learning is impeded my one crucial factor. The damn tutorials or rather, the code they provide doesnt work. It seems to have parts missing, or just doesnt plain work.

For instance, a C++ tutorial gave some practise code for variables ok? Only thing was, it didnt declare or even mention the damn CIN function!

Ive been trying to learn Python as well, and again some problem with that, though i cant for the life of me determine what the problem is heres the python code:

print "Halt!"
s = raw_input("Who Goes there? ")
print "You may pass,", s

The first line of that gets executed, the rest doesnt. :?

Basically, my question is, how can I ensure that i am getting all the proper information, or the correct information? I am really keen to learn, but learning is getting severely retarded by not actually being able to validate or solidify my learning.

I have read over a few tutorials for both c++ and python to try and fill in the gaps, but it seems, all too often, that the gaps are the same for different books.

Its like learning to drive, with no damn car, or the car doesnt start up. You cant really test out your newly acquired knowledge.

As I said, and I must emphasise this point, I WANT to learn. I dont want spoonfed, I do want to work, but I humbly request, some help as to proper/efficent tools.
I know I had mention this before, but maybe you should take programming step by step. Try to master one thing, then move to another. Cause in reality, almost all programming languages have a similar type of syntax. I highly recommend learning C++ because I find at times Python can get a little bitchy to debug. But thats my personal opinion. I started C++ with this book:

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Hours-Complete-Starter/dp/0672326817/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2406620-2640007?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1180824543&sr=8-1
Maybe you should check it out. :wink:

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

hey ebriz, I am trying to learn one small section at a time, thing is, what with the cod or examples NOT working, i cant validate what Ive learned. Id rather learn a new topic, and then confirm I do know what it means, how to code it etc, before moving onto the next part. Thats common sense.

but, if I cant validate what Ive learned, then basically Im stuck in a rut!

ebrizzlez
Kage
Kage

Post by ebrizzlez »

baron_samedi wrote:hey ebriz, I am trying to learn one small section at a time, thing is, what with the cod or examples NOT working, i cant validate what Ive learned. Id rather learn a new topic, and then confirm I do know what it means, how to code it etc, before moving onto the next part. Thats common sense.

but, if I cant validate what Ive learned, then basically Im stuck in a rut!
Well i learned from, the book above. All the code works perfectly. Although, I never read in 21 Days, so seeing that you picked the wrong book may make you a little skeptical. But no need, trust me, that book is worth every penny (or minute spent googling for the ebook.). Also, another point, ebooks can be compiled by any noob and thus can be error-prone, normally, this doesnt happen. But in your case, i think so. When i finish my updates i will speak more about this via IM.