Linksys Router.

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Linksys Router.

Post by Big-E »

Okay, here at work we have a linksys wlan router. I just started and I have come to the conclusion that this router is messing up the network. So, I go an see how this router is configured and none of my 'given passwords' work, and my manager says he is not aware of the password. What would be the best way to get into the config and set a new password without resetting to factory default settings, in which case the network goes down for however long it takes to set back up. I don't want to put in extra time to fix this damn thing, and I cannot let the network go down or I will have 20 people bitching at me that this don't work, or that doesn't work. Solutions anyone?

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

use some software like password reveal pro which reveals IE asterix there maybe some freeware out there though so you dont have to pay ahem *cough* :wink:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

computathug wrote:use some software like password reveal pro which reveals IE asterix there maybe some freeware out there though so you dont have to pay ahem *cough* :wink:
The problem isn't that I want to know the password, the problem is I NEED the password to gain access. Meaning that there is no saved password to be 'revealed'. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I guess you could try and crack it. If it is a simple password it might not take that long.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

i dont think you can recover the password from the router, youll have to reset the box and set it back to factory defaults...

if there is a way to recover the password instead of resetting the box, im unaware of it, and it would likely take more time to do than just resetting the router, reconfiguring etc...

Since this is a company youll be doing this at, make sure that all personnel know that there will be network downtime before you make the reset, make sure your supervisors/bosses know it as well, that way nobody can come and harass you.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

CircuitB0mB wrote:i dont think you can recover the password from the router, youll have to reset the box and set it back to factory defaults...

if there is a way to recover the password instead of resetting the box, im unaware of it, and it would likely take more time to do than just resetting the router, reconfiguring etc...

Since this is a company youll be doing this at, make sure that all personnel know that there will be network downtime before you make the reset, make sure your supervisors/bosses know it as well, that way nobody can come and harass you.
Thanks for the reply, its not a company per say...just a lot of people who bitch a lot when the network goes down. I have all the time on my hands I want so I kind of want to learn, so why not make an attempt at it? Cracking something legally would be good practice, would it not?

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

I would suggest to reset the factory default at night when no one is there and then reconfigure it if it is possible. Trying to exploit it, crack it may do a DOS and everyone will still be after you :wink:
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

nerdzoncrack wrote:I would suggest to reset the factory default at night when no one is there and then reconfigure it if it is possible. Trying to exploit it, crack it may do a DOS and everyone will still be after you :wink:
True, I never really thought of that. But I don't want to stay at night...I like to drink at night. :(