I want to install a linux

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

well id never tried linux at all and am pleased i dived in feet first with debian and had a few problems for a week or 2 and a few more after that but nothing major. in fact the only problem i have now is that i installed it on a laptop with a broken screen i can log up to another monitor while working to get used to it but really am thinking of putting it my other laptop now so i can use it anywhere and really get used to it and take that 1 step further to getting rid of windows. i have not had any problems with any drivers and have found it more user friendly than i expected. :wink:

TheKingOfHearts

Post by TheKingOfHearts »

well for me its hard to learn all the stuff in a day

windows didnt come to me in a day

i still dont really know what SSH is and all that stuff

so im hoping that by having this linux ill learn a lot more

and besides im planning to make that drive a hacking drive only
where ill make viruses because i never made one and i really want to try one out just for the sake of knowledge ill cut the net off when i do so i dont infect anyone
its a small 40 gig drive so i think it would fit for the job of getting ruined from time to time

what i really need is a second box to make into a server so i can finally legally hack thru ports and try exploits and stuff like that

all in good time :)

since im starting serious programming comming school year
its gonna be half the day ill learn C++ and Java and ASP and etc.
so i decided to not try rushing it on my own
it might be a bad idea and im a lazy ass

im really excited about having this Ubuntu
[url=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2034/oopsrg8.gif]/sig[/url]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

TheKingOfHearts wrote:well for me its hard to learn all the stuff in a day

windows didnt come to me in a day

i still dont really know what SSH is and all that stuff

so im hoping that by having this linux ill learn a lot more
don't worry, nobody learned to use Linux perfectly in a day, for me it took about a year until I was able to really work on Linux without having to google every couple of minutes. I kinda had it to learn the hard way because I needed to manage my 1st server remotely via SSH....working only in a shell speeds up learning imo, but on the other side it can be pretty annoying at the beginning when you are used to push around the mouse in XP.

so I recommend to setup Linux on a 2nd computer and manage it via SSH , and if you're running a website it's a good idea to setup the site too on the Linux box.....you are forced to learn this way and you also have a good opportunity to work on your site without the danger of breaking the online one.

btw, I've setup Debian Lenny on my home server and I can really recommend it...there might be a bug or two in it because it is the testing release (Debian Etch is the stable one at the moment), but it runs without any problems for me and the hardware recognition worked like a charm.
here's the link to the download:
http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
I used the netinstaller CD where you only download the CD iso with the base packages and all the rest is downloaded from the internet during install, saves a lot of time compared to downloading the full DVD set.

:wink: