liquid cooling

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

liquid cooling

Post by visser »

im looking into getting a new computer. (gonna be down the road, but ki do my research as much as possible) i was wondering, how many of you suck-oers useliquid cooling?
for those of you that do use liquid cooling what do you use as the liquid.

ive seen some people that buy special stuff to use as the liquid. some use water and say to add stuff to deter algae. if even heard of people that will gut a dehumidifier and put the coils in their reservoir and use a liquid that doesnt freeze (dont know what that liquid is, but i was thinking what about windshield washer fluid?) i dont know i was looking for someone with a lot of experience. any help will be appreciated!!!

visser

Post by visser »

alrighty. either nobody uses liquid cooling or nobody has any idea how to help me. no worries solved my own problem, ill explain for those of you who may need it. someday :roll:

had this idea, should work.

biggest thing to do with your liquid cooling is to be sure of a couple of things.
1) leaks are bad, test runs are good. your rig doesnt have to be in the computer for it to run! if it leaks, well goodbye yellow brick road.

2) all your metals should be the same. ie. you do NOT want your water block to be aluminum and your radiator tubes (notice i said tubes) to be aluminum. the only thing youll be doing very well at is wearing your pump down. (it has something to do with the change of metals and the atoms, im not completly sure i just know that corrosion occurse even faster, most people prefer all copper, however it is a bit more expensive) size of tubes and pump and such really dont matter. ur choice really.

3) use water in the rig itself. and you should add watter wetter. it lubricates the water (if that makes sense) and also helps to improve the thermal properties of the water.

okay so now that thats all cleared up continuing. to hep cool the water quicker and to the best possibilities most use radiators. for some (including me) its not good enough. heres thing thing to do. rather than a radiator with a fan on it we are going to sink the radiator in a tub of antifreeze. this will make sense soon. i hope. take apart a dehumidifier. a fridge works to, but that is much harder because it is bigger) a dehumidifier is easy because it has two sets of coils in the one unit. and are smaller than a fridge. take the coils out. now heres the part i havent done yet. so if you would care to elaborate or explain please do. take the cold coils out of the box and place it into the tube of antifreeze containing your radiator. obviously if it gets to cold then the water will freeze and this is bad. the key is to keep it oging through quick enough that it doesnt have a chance. to freeze. the route i will be taking is going to be making a custom radiator that isnt to large but isnt to small.

however i have not had a chance to try this. just some ideas i had and will be trying out very very soon :lol:

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I have thought a couple of times already about using water cooling, but I'm kinda afraid of leakages... :? and the other thing is that most water coolings use fans too so it don't make much sense in context with building a silent system (which is the main reason for using water cooling imo)....but this one is really yummy (and fanless):
http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/vie ... 6&code=021

:)

visser

Post by visser »

hmmmmm................. this is interesting..................

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I do liquid cooling at my work and it is not too bad. It is a pain in the rear for the little gains you can get. Perhaps a peltier cooler would suit better. Check into them as a alternative if you like, here is a nice link to get you started.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=414&type=expert
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

visser

Post by visser »

hmmmm...... well now ive got even more to learn!!! thanks for all the contributions.

rambo

Post by rambo »

Plasma cooling is the way to go!,

Badbrain i've had liquidcooling for quite some time 1 year and i have had no more problems Dosen't crash either which is great!

So next hot day im roaring to go.. :) :D