Photoshop Tutorial - APC Sig

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Photoshop Tutorial - APC Sig

Post by Gogeta70 »

Here's the tutorial for that sig i promised...

First of all, you're going to need these:

Font:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/530 ... _scale%3A5
Put this in C:\WINDOWS\Fonts

Brush: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/567 ... _scale%3A5

Brushes go in C:\program files\Adobe\photoshop folder\presets\brushes\adobe photoshop only

APC Logo:
http://content.answers.com/main/content ... e_Noms.jpg

After downloading those, open photoshop and create a new image.
Width: 500px
Height: 100px
Background: Transparent

On the first layer, fill it with black. (alt + backspace fills document with foreground color)

Next, create a new layer (ctrl + shift + n), and make the foreground color white. Now, use the inner universe brushes and brush a little on the new layer, then, if there's some bright spots, switch the foreground color to black, and brush over the brighter spots some.

Next, go to Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Color Balance, and click OK. With this, we're going to create the orange color in the image. Try to experiment with color values, but mine are:

+72, 0, -34

Then, create another color balance layer. Again, experiment with colors if you want, but mine are:

-60, 0, +31

Next, click on the first color balance layer, click the gradient tool, and have the foreground color white, background color black. Then, drag the gradient from the top right corner, to the bottom left corner.

Then, click the 2nd color balance layer. Using the gradient tool, drag the gradient from the bottom left corner to the top right corner. This creates the color-to-color gradient that you want. There are easier ways to do this, but this gives you more control.

Seems the background is a bit bright, so create a new layer (ctrl + n) and click ok. Then, fill it with black, then set it to overlay.

Next, create another new layer, and then paste the APC logo in there. Since it's a bit large, we need to scale it down. Do this by pressing (ctrl + t), then hold shift (holding shift keeps image size proportional), and drag from the corner until it's a small, reasonable size.

After you have the logo positioned and placed, click on the brush tool, and get into the brush menu, and click reset brushes.

(Note: Don't worry if your layers don't look the same as mine in the picture, i'm ahead of the tutorial in that picture.)

Once your brushes are reset, choose a brush with a blurry edge at the size 65px. Then, go to Layers > Layer mast > Hide all

This will create a layer mask filled with black. To be able to see anything, you'll have to use a white brush, so set the foreground color to white. Then, use your brush and brush over where the APC logo is. This will create the fading effect around the logo and remove the obvious line where the image ends.

Now that we have that done, all we have left is the text layer. Select the text tool, and drag it from about the middle of the picture, to the bottom right corner.

Type whatever you'd like to, then, select the font Guttural, with a size of 48 pt (or whatever you prefer). Then, right click on the text layer and click on Blending Options.

Go to color overlay and choose a light gray color. I chose #e0e0e0.

Next, go to Bevel and Emboss, with these options:

Depth: 1
Size: 0
Soften: 0

Then, go to Stroke.

Size: 1
Color: Black

Then, click OK.

Now, create a new layer, and select a box around your text to the corner of the canvas.

Fill the selection with black (alt + backspace). Do not deselect, then go to Edit > Stroke.

Size: 1px
Color: White

Then, click OK.
Now, drag the layer below the text layer and set the opacity to whatever you'd like. I set mine to 38%.

That's all, here's what I ended up with:

Please rate the tutorial and tell me what you guys think!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Macross
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Macross »

wow realy nice sig tut thanks!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeah, saweet! :D

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Thanks for keeping the promise of showing us how to make the sig we voted as the best. :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

sternbildchen

Post by sternbildchen »

Very usefull! 10/10

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

wow thanks :D
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bubzuru
.net coder
.net coder

Post by bubzuru »

thnx 4 the tut

just got cs3 :lol:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

No problem guys. Next tutorial: Making brushes for photoshop. :)

bubzuru
.net coder
.net coder

Post by bubzuru »

cant wait :D

mo2332

Post by mo2332 »

yawn no offence this style stinks it no fininished

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

mo2332 wrote:yawn no offence this style stinks it no fininished
Anyone would take that offencive :?
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Ha, I somehow knew someone would be jealous of this. Good work gogeta...I am currently in the process of doing a freebie site for someone, and if his friends band likes the site they want to contract me to do their site with pay. Would you be up for some graphics work? I can probably arrange something through paypal, or bank transfer.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Mo2332: Did your mother never teach you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?

Well, just to let you know, you're pissing me off.

Big-E:

I would love to do graphics for a band website. I already do graphics for the concerts of my cousin's band, Arsenic Dream, so this should be fun.

mo2332

Post by mo2332 »

ok let me reword my self work on the style dont stop there do that tut then add more to it i dont want to be mean :)

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Sweet, send me a PM with your msn address. We shall talk more.