network help

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
kings2006
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

network help

Post by kings2006 »

I recently network two of my pc's. I am now sahrin ginternet connections and printer. I need help with accesing files from my pc downstairs on the one upstairs. basically I cant view my files that are on my other computer. any help please!!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

First of all, how are they sharing a connection? through a router?

also, can you ping computer 1 from computer 2?

If you don't know how to do this, then do the following

On computer 1 goto START then RUN and write "cmd" without the quotes, then in the black window that appears you write "ipconfig without the quotes, and look under IP ADDRESS, usualy something starting with "192.168".

Now you write this address down and goto Computer 2, goto the black window again (Start > run > cmd) and write ping 192.168.x.x (192.168.x.x beeing th adress of computer 1) to see if they can reach each other. If this can't be done then you might want to check your firewall settings, some "internet security" block ping and the possibility to reach the computers from each other at all.

Try to shutdown any software firewall or internet security on both computers... then goto "start -> run" and write \\192.168.x.x\C$ in that window to try to reach "C" of the other computer, or just \\192.168.x.x\ to get a overview over that computers shared folders, if any. (192.168.x.x still beeing the other computers IP)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

kings2006
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by kings2006 »

yes i can ping it. I just don't know how to share files between both computers.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well as mentioned above, try START -> Run -> \\192.168.x.x\
to see if the other comp has any shares, also check firewalls and such.

And check if your "shared documents" folder is actually shared, if not then right click and press "sharing and security"
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"