bios anyone????

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

bios anyone????

Post by visser »

ok so i have an interesting question. everytime my computer starts up the "hit this key to go into setup" does not show up. is there any way i can get into the bios of my computer???? or do i need to flash the bios and get an updated one. the one i have now is like from '98 so its really old!!
any suggestions????

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, hard to say which key it is, what BIOS is it? check what name is displayed when booting (usually in the upper right corner, can be AMI or Award for example). but the best would be if you know what mainboard model it is, so check for info printed on the mainboard or use Sandra ( http://www.sisoftware.net/ ) to identify it.
common used keys are Del, Esc or F2...maybe one of them works for you.

:wink:

visser

Post by visser »

ok so we got into the bios. we jsut started hiting keys. and got it (f1 for the record) and i tried to overclock it but the multiplier wasnt there. like i couldnt find it and i checked everything. how can i overclock my comp wheni cant find the multiplier???

RNA
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by RNA »

As an overclocker, let me help out.

Theres a few different bios layouts, could you please post the options of the root menu of your BIOS(what are the options on the first menu you see)?

Also, is it a pre-build computer? Like Dell/gateway/compaq? Those companies disable OCing in the BIOS.

Also, the first thing you want to do is NOT touch the multi, if you move it up one(provided its not locked which most are) you will most likely not even be able to POST test and require a CMOS reset, you want to use the FSB to up it, you'll also have to deal with the RAM and what nots. I'd strongly advise you use google for some good overclock guides, if it seems too complex, don't do it.

pseudo_opcode
cyber messiah
cyber messiah

Post by pseudo_opcode »

for the record, intel mobos have locked overclocking, you can flash it and maybe tweak it, but its not worth it, i overclocked my processor from 1.9 to 2.0 ghz and it became so unstable and sucked, not to mention i had to put an additional fan to keep it cool.. so overclock only if you can afford to screw up your processor.

also there are some apps which let you overclock your cpu and you dont need bios for that, for more info... google's your friend

RNA
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by RNA »

pseudo_opcode wrote:for the record, intel mobos have locked overclocking, you can flash it and maybe tweak it, but its not worth it, i overclocked my processor from 1.9 to 2.0 ghz and it became so unstable and sucked, not to mention i had to put an additional fan to keep it cool.. so overclock only if you can afford to screw up your processor.

also there are some apps which let you overclock your cpu and you dont need bios for that, for more info... google's your friend
I put my 1.8 operton to 2.6 without changing the voltage(thereby, not creating more heat)