Considering building a new computer.

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Considering building a new computer.

Post by Stavros »

As a gamer (and a person who is an all-around computer nut) the thought of building another computer has been creeping in the back of my mind.

Now, there are several reasons why I want to build a new computer. When I upgrade my current computer I'll want:

-Dual Core Processor (Probably Intel)
-DirectX 10 capablilty

It would be a lot easier to convert my current computer into a server (game server, file server, etc.) and build a new computer for gaming.

As it stands my current computer has these specs:

-AMD Opteron 146 Single Core processor
-EPoX EP-9NPA+Ultra (It's no longer being made)
-2 GBs OCZ (It's high performance RAM, just don't remember which; Gold I think)
-Audigy ZS 2 Sound Card
-1 250 GB Hard Drive (Windows XP)
-1 160 GB Hard Drive (SimplyMEPIS I think)

If I replace my CPU and Video Card I should go ahead and replace my motherboard mostly because there's 2 busted PCI ports. And when I have to replace the three most expensive parts of a computer I think it would be best in the long run to go ahead and build an even better computer.

Now here's where your opinions come into play:

Assuming I do build another computer:

-Should I stick with AMD's Socket 939?
-Should I go with Intel's new socket technology? (I'm not to familiar with Intel)
-Do you think I should wait?

These are only a few example questions. Any opinion is welcome.
Last edited by Stavros on 09 Aug 2007, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.

visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by visser »

im not sure what to say do. i owuld ef go with an asus mother board they jut have that sweet overclocking stuff. course amd is coming out with barcelona (dont know when) and intel is coming out with penyryn. so i dont know if getting it right now is the best idea. but hey thats just me. im gonna wait( course i dont have the money neways ha ha)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, I am thinking about building a new system too because my trusty AMD XP2500+ system is slowly becoming outdated. a friend of mine built a Intel Core Duo system some weeks ago, and I think I will also get one....but if I decide to get an AMD again I will get a socket AM2 one because you can build very silent systems with it (AM2 is originally coming from laptops, so the CPUs are optimized for low heat generation).

well, I guess in the end it'll be a question of the price again.

Oppconsulting

Post by Oppconsulting »

ok hot off the phone my friend who is a tech and works with the newer stuff yes do the dual cor its allot better and is what evry game is going to and will soon require. It also unreal on speed and performance he says and I know my old ultamite pc was Prescott family But a celleron D of that line Witch simply means it ran cooler than the Presscots D meant dual core it kicked asss big time beat all my friends pcs bad and I had a gig or so of ram in it so if you want performace go dual I also ran unreal 2004 in that pc and a few others no lag or wait times they just screamed I paid 600 for that pc 3 years ago or so it has been gone beats me 1 or more so hope that helps.
“As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.”
― John Lennon
“One thing you can't hide - is when you're crippled inside.”
― John Lennon

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Well the good news is I won't have to buy a whole new keyboard, mouse and monitor (another expensive item), so that cuts out roughly $300+.

I know that which ever way I go I'm getting dual core regardless of socket or brand. And I might go crazy and (almost) buy 4GBs of RAM (and then come to my senses and get 2GBs.)

Well, looks like I've got a lot of research to do. I probably won't really begin to size up the parts until around October (since I should be getting [some] money for my birthday) and might not buy until Black Friday (the Friday after Thanksgiving [or as I like to call it Turkey Day]).

Keep the opinions comings.

maboroshi
Dr. Mab
Dr. Mab

I think

Post by maboroshi »

I think your system is good enough keep it till a game or your schooling needs better. Then just upgrade the parts as you need as thats how PCs are designed so you can replace old parts and not have to buy everything new

Just my opinion

Cheers

Maboroshi

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Just FYI, intel's new "socket technology" is really tough on the motherboard, so you can only remove and replace the processor about... 50 times.

Careful about that...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...