Is it possibe to stop the computer fan?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Losing_grip
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Is it possibe to stop the computer fan?

Post by Losing_grip »

So Is it possibe to stop the computer fan?

If it is , then how?

Let's say i got trojan and infected my other computer.

Thanks. :)

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, there is software like Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) that can regulate the fan speed (not for all hardware)....I don't know if you can fully disable fans too, but even if you can you couldn't really damage the system because you can't override the emergency shutdown at a certain temperature that is set in BIOS.. :wink:

Losing_grip

Post by Losing_grip »

Well , is it possible to somehow delete the emergency shutdown thing :P

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I don't think it can be done from the OS, you would need to do it manually in the BIOS settings... :wink:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Stop the computer fan? Try unplugging it :P Also, i've built a fair share of computers and in many of their bios screens, i've seen options to disable certain fans and set the emergency shutdown temp.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

yeup! the question is if it's possible to edit the BIOS setting on OS level....which is some kind of oxymoron because BIOS is running "below" the OS, but if it wouldn't be possible tools like Speedfan wouldn't work... :-k

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Yeah... it's kind of like demolishing a building from the floor up, it shouldn't work, it's sloppy, and kind of dangerous, but it works. :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Asuna
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by Asuna »

You're talking about some kind of virus that when it infects someone's computer, it shuts down the fan and causes the processor to overheat? I don't have much knowledge in viruses (except using my anti-virus and what viruses do). And getting rid of the emergency shutdown temperature, I never really bother with anything like that, but, if what I'm reading is correct, it'd be in the bios. And even though it runs under the OS, it might be possible to do it since rootkits run under the OS as well and people have found them (although it might not be the same thing). I apologize if this is just a copy of what was said above. Just trying to help.