dual boot

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

dual boot

Post by visser »

ok just got a laptop. very nice!!! however vista is already installed. very bad!!! im not really enjoying vista. but still want it so i can have it for later.

i put in the xp sart up disk. it loaded and then says that it couldnt find a hard drive. so i hit google up. i ended up finding something about xp not having s-ata drivers built in. so they suggested using nlite to put it in the os and then burn and install on a new partition. however. before i go and start formating stuff.

is there an easy way to do this. i want xp and vista all in one. (vista freezes so much) any help would be apreciated!!!

alien100

Post by alien100 »

try this, didnt have much time to read it though, so not fully sure if it will help you but anyways heres some links
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp
http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista- ... -1946.html

btw : what do you mean by "xp and vista all in one "? in one hd ?? or two separate partitions or ??
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

visser

Post by visser »

ok so this is what i did. VISTA BLOWS BALLS. it took up like 30 gigs. and had one game installed. so like 25 gigs for my vista shit alone. so i figured i would just get rid of vista cause ive got a backup drive partition on the hdd.

so i popped in a xp boot disk. and it didnt pick up the hdd. The hdd was a sata drive and the xp disk didnt have a sata driver. i couldnt disable sats in the bios. so i googled around a bit and found a guid designed for my laptop of how to get rid of vista and put xp on. it eve had driver downloads. everything i needed. all right in front of me.

to get the xp disk to pick up the hdd. you download a program called nlite and then copy and paste the xp cd to your desktop. or whatever folder you want. open nlite up and itll ask for a bootdisk loca

tion. you load the one from the desktop and then click next. it figures otu what everything is and such. then you can integrate drivers service packs. all sorts of nifty little things. so i integrated the sata driver into the xp bootdisk. burned the iso. (nlite does it for you) and then stuck it in my laptop.

it loaded and worked great!!!! as far as activation goes... because i had vista on there already it hasnt asked me to activate. which is good. cause thats the 50th time ive used that disk.

as soon as i loaded xp. wow. my laptop was going so so much faster!!! no glitches no problems. and it was easy to get everythign up and going. it was about a four hour project. by the end of the four hours i was playing battlefield 2 on high settings. getting somewhere around 50 frames per second!!!!

so if any of you have a laptop and want to get vista off of it. let me know. i might be able to hellp you.

and thanks alien for the help. i will remeber that in case i for some odd reason want vista aswell. ;)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I have a sata Hard disk and i load XP just fine. I don't need any other things just my XP cd. :?
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

visser

Post by visser »

well hmmm..... my laptop is the Hp dv6500t. and the xp disk i as using was meant for a laptop it was origannaly for a desktop. Perhaps that has something to do with it. who knows!!! lol its computers they are always doing something funny

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

A buddy of mine got a new hp laptop a while ago with vista, but it was really slow. I installed XP perfectly fine, except that the xp drivers provided from HP didn't work, so no network or sound capabilities on xp for him...

Edit: Since XP didn't work on there, i told him i could install linux and show him how to use it. So we did that, and everything worked 110% on linux ;)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...