Ktorrent crashing!

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Ktorrent crashing!

Post by Lyecdevf »

Among my downloads I have this torrent that says in black colored font that it can not start. So I figured of removing it.

So I tried several times to remove it but Ktorrent crashes each and every time. I even removed the folder manually and than tried to remove in from the torrent but that did not work either and crashed again.

So what do you think is happening? Why can not I remove it!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, run updatedb and search for the file by using the locate command, I guess it is stuck somewhere in a temp-directory... :-k

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I get this answer:

updatedb: fatal error: You are not authorized to create a default slocate database!
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um, have you been logged in as root? 8)

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

When I try it in root I get the cursor blinking there in the left and pretty much nothing happens. Should I try to type in there any thing.

I have tried to resolve this by taking the same movie and downloading it again. That did not work either.
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

when you run updatedb for the first time it can take some minutes, it indexes all files on the system and writes them into a database...so let it run and be a little patient.. :wink:
when done you can use the locate command to search for the torrent file that is stuck, best use a wildcard for the name instead of using the full file name because maybe the file ending is different when it's a temp-file for example... let's say the torrent file is named mydownload.torr, run locate myfile* then.... :wink:

if it all fails there is another way:
I am not sure anymore what distro you are using, but if it's one that uses apt-get you could remove ktorrent completely with all its files by using the --purge switch:

Code: Select all

apt-get remove --purge ktorrent
afterwards you can do a clean ktorrent install again....should be similar in other package managers.
Last edited by bad_brain on 12 Oct 2007, 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Thanks but some one I already solved it. I am not really sure how but it is gone now. If that happens again thought I am going to try and resolve the problem this way!
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

oh, ok...been editing my post at the same time you were posting... :lol:

well, you should run the updatedb command anyway, because it will enable you to search for files on the system... :wink:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well I left yesterday the comp on for a whole day to run. I just had Ktorrent running but when I came back today to check on it the program crashed.

It downloaded quite a lot though so I know it was running for quite a while after I was gone. Nevertheless once I plan to go away for really long and I do not want it to crash for some unexplained reason/

My question is whether Ktorrent is a good program or should I instead run like utorrent in wine instead. I need a reliable program!
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, what about azureus?

another option might be to restart the application regularly as a cronjob, I did that once with a mail service (spamd) that kept crashing regularly...might not be an elegant solution, but it works...

are there any logs btw that could point to the reason why the app is crashing? :-k

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

O.K. thanks b-b I have enough to work on. I might just reinstall Ktorrent or maybe I am just going to install a new linux distro.

Of course I am going to run Ktorrent and I am going to use all of your suggestions in case new problems arise. I just have one more question.

I ran Ktorrent for 24 hours and I have uploaded exactly 6GB. So I made a rough calculation that if I ran if for a whole year I would be able to upload 2TB. Which does not seem that much to me because I have a 729 kbp/s upload capacity and I am uploading only about 80kbp/s. Why is it not using the whole capacity of my internet connection. I have a lot torrents. I did not count them but well over 30. It does not seem like it matters how many torrents I have it uploads at the same speed. So why is it not uploading any faster?
- Hannibal

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, using a router? if yes, have you configured port forwarding properly?
because in most cases slow file transfers are caused by a bad router config so not the whole port range can be used.

did you had full speed on other OSs before? because it might be possible your ISP is limiting the bandwidth on the "default filesharing ports", so it's also worth to try different ports (40000+ ones).... :-k