home server question

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
sparta

home server question

Post by sparta »

Hey everyone,

First off, I would like to say that I look forward to speaking with everyone here and hope that I can help others as much as others help me.

I decided to put an old pc of mine, which was recently retired, to good use. Don't misunderstand me, it does a great job collecting dust (in fact I couldn’t do a better job myself) but I figured I could bring it back from the dead to serve a more glorious purpose in its life.

In order to get a better understanding about how servers work and some of the security features they can employ, I decided to transform that old pc of mine into one. The question I have for you is: What should be the primary function of my server? For example, would starting out with a web server be more beneficial than a FTP server? Windows or Linux? You get the point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

To help you out a bit, here is little background about my knowledge. I am a 26 year old college student taking Information Systems Management, proficient in HTML. (Learned using notepad. I suggest everyone start that way to gain a more in depth insight). I am knowledgeable in C++, Java Programming (NOT JavaScript), TCP/IP, LAN, MAN, & WANs. Also have a BASIC understanding of SQL & VB and have taken classes in A+ Hardware & Software.

Thanks for the help guys.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Hello! and welcome to Suck-o! ^^

Well the operating system is all about your experience. I would recommend to start with windows if you haven't had any experience in any of them (when it comes to server building).

Imo it would be good to start with setting up both FTP and Web server on it so that you can see how it functions. Then maybe move on to Windows server 2000 and make FTP/Web servers there and maybe install Active Directory and play a little with DNS ^^

Then when it comes to security, you can read more about firewalls (and maybe IPtables if you are choosing Linux) and maybe setting up a Honey Pot.

gaah! there is so much you can do xD

Anyway, just some suggestions =3
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

welcome to the site, I always enjoy to see people interested in servers.. :D

ok, let's start:
first of all I would recommend Linux, you have much more possibilities with it compared to MS, it's free, and it is the standard for "real" online servers...so you can gather a lot of experience which will be very useful if you want to get a "real" online server some day.
my recommendation is Debian, it is predestined as server OS and the apt-get package manager makes it very easy to install new services...the choices are almost endless: web servers, ftp, irc....whatever you want.
in Debian you can already pick services you want to use during install, so the web server for example will work out of the box.

what services you want to use depends on your interests, but imo a web server is the one which is most interesting....but of course it is absolutely no problem to run ftp or any other service at the same time.

if you have further questions simply ask... :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

welcome

Post by DNR »

College educated? Your transcript sounds pretty good. I studied Netware 4.x/5.0 and Windows AS 2k, even worked as a computer lab rat.
The best student would always try to be hands-on. The more servers you build the better you'll get. "paper-mcse's" learned everything by the book, and probably never even inserted a NIC before.

Suck-o is also a forum to shape your hacker personality. Try to read through some of the old threads, they are worth the time.

:wink:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

sparta

Post by sparta »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, it's a big help