deleting a file

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
kings2006
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

deleting a file

Post by kings2006 »

i would like to know how do i delete a file permanently. I know some people who can recover my erased files and I dont want that to happen.

rhysh
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by rhysh »

2 ways
k delete and remove from recycle bin
go to a different directory and create a file with the exact same name and extension,then replace the other file with your bogas file

or download a file shredder

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Yeah just as Opp said ^^

I found this on Google though, there is a free trial. But i am pretty sure you can find other programs that are a like for free.

Check it out HERE
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

try this one:
http://www.fileshredder.org/

supports different algorithms, also the DoD one and the Guttman one with 35 (!) passes...and it's freeware.. :wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Take your hard drive out of the computer and smash it 400 times with a 10 pound hammer. Then toss it into the deepest part of the ocean. File is deleted and unrecoverable.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

:lol:

I've seen how it is done in the US DoD before they throw old HDDs into the trash, after encrypting/overwriting the files repeatedly the whole HDD is "baked" in a special high-power microwave oven until it starts glowing... 8O

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

bad_brain wrote:try this one:
http://www.fileshredder.org/

supports different algorithms, also the DoD one and the Guttman one with 35 (!) passes...and it's freeware.. :wink:
oh, thanks :D

floodhound2 wrote:Take your hard drive out of the computer and smash it 400 times with a 10 pound hammer. Then toss it into the deepest part of the ocean. File is deleted and unrecoverable.
I shall write that down and use it the next time the cops knock on my door ^^
bad_brain wrote:I've seen how it is done in the US DoD before they throw old HDDs into the trash, after encrypting/overwriting the files repeatedly the whole HDD is "baked" in a special high-power microwave oven until it starts glowing... Shocked

wow.... =o

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

For fun toss a CD into the microwave and watch what happens after 5 seconds. It will glow and toss out nice colors then become useless.

:wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

floodhound2 wrote:For fun toss a CD into the microwave and watch what happens after 5 seconds. It will glow and toss out nice colors then become useless.

:wink:
ya well my father would equal that to Cold Fusion and would lock all my CD's somewhere i can't find them xD

shamir
Computer Manager
Computer Manager

Post by shamir »

neo130 wrote:
I shall write that down and use it the next time the cops knock on my door ^^

wow.... =o
ya but neo if do that the cops well be more, supposes of you bitting the shit of your pc then throwing it in the water, unless they never find the HDD, now thats a different story. :wink:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

It does not take a lot to destroy a HD. If you administer to your computer a strong kick you are going to destroy the HD and than you can let the police or who ever who wants to investigate pay for the recovery of the data. Now that is not that cheap and they would have to have quite a good reason to do so.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

electromagnets

Post by DNR »

I use Kremlin secure delete, it overwrites the area the file was.
Secure deletion is by writing 0's and 1's, then random bitstreams, and then looping again the number of times you chose, I choose overwrite sensitive files 10 times :wink:

Computer forensics has been able to recover data from hard drives that were cut in half. For fun I shot a HD with a 9mm, the bullet lodge in the hd itself, but hd could still be removed and sections scanned. It is just a matter of reading the bits stored on the hd, even without a file directory system intact.

Criminals in the know have built large _electromagnets_ that can be turned on, in the event of a police raid, it works. You can make a handsized electromagnet, that can lift 500 pounds, and powered only by 2 D sized battery ( can you imagine this as a physical attack on a server?!) If you make one with AC power, it can make it hundreds of times more powerful - thats why it works on HDs :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

DNR make a tutorial!!!!! I wanna be able to have the force of 500 lbs ;P

JK... i'm celebrating my freedom at the moment......... (*wink wink* baron ;) )
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Yeah, that is quite a novel solution. Just by the click of the switch your HD is detroyed. :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

just short it out,easy rite :wink: