Hello!

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
unsol

Hello!

Post by unsol »

Another guy from the Northwest here (Washington, US).

I was doing my usual thing of hopping from site to site (due to boredom) and came upon your nifty page. From the looks of it, this is just the place I want to be! =D

Right now I'm going to say that I'm such a newb I make my mom look like a computer genius (Not even close to the truth, but, compared to most of you, it probably is true). I have tried to teach myself C++ a few times, but I always get distracted by something (usually games and flying). I've also spent a year in school (a very bad high school) learning German. I'm not saying I can remember any of it, but I do want to become as fluent as I can, which is why I will be taking some German classes in college this spring. So, mixing some much needed computer experience and the occasional Deutsch sprechen (see? bad =P ), I'm sure I'll love this place ^_^ I will also have to introduce one of my friends to this site, as he is in the same boat as I am (with wanting to learn more about computer security and German), but he does not have a computer currently, the poor guy =(

Right now I am set up on two windows based machines (a homebuilt desktop that is coming up on six years old, and a fairly new Dell laptop). Bad, I know, but I love my games to much (currently World of Warcraft), and I do not really trust others to come out with fixes for WineX (this is the only program, that I know of, which can emulate windows DirectX) every time WoW has a new patch :( Hopefully I will be getting a new computer soon, at which point I can change my current desktop to some unix based platform (I have a copy of Mandrake, but it is fairly old now... I think version 8).

Umm... Other than that... I have a fairly basic knowledge of computers. I'm the fix-it guy (for computers) amongst my friends, two of which troubleshoot/fix computers for a living. Usually I don't know what the heck I am doing, but I always fix whatever was wrong. Occasionally I'll get bored and set up a web server on one of my computers and play around with it (try to break into it). Sometimes I get lucky, but ultimately I'm not very good =P I think the most fun I have ever had with network security was in high school (I graduated just last June). Granted the school district's computer technicians weren't that bright (our entire district network was infected with some virus, that would constantly reboot the infected pc, for at least a week, except the computer I was using =P), but I did get to have fun pestering everyone with little pop up messages and random desktop images. Oh, and playing games during class. Can't forget that =)

Anyway... I read that ya'll have some books on here I could read to help me along. I think I'll go find those then go to bed (5am here). Talk to you all later, and thanks!

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

Hey Man Welcome to the Site!

listen i know how you feel about the German thing, i dont know but one word, so youir most likely farther than i am :lol:

your setup spunds cool, and dont fret about having a system thats about 6 yrs old, i run 2 PII's here and a 500mhz upstairs and a 2ghz downstairs all networked, to tell you the truth i use my 500mhz more than any of them! 8)

if your relatively new to programming languages, instead of starting with C++ try starting with an easier one like HTML/PHP, VB, or Python, all of those are great to start on, and it will give you a feel of how things can be structured. :wink:

alot of us in here play games too, i think theres 1 or 2 others that play WoW too, anyways man welcome again to the forums!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hello class!
I´m your new german teacher, my name is Mr. *skreetch* bad *skreetch* brain... :lol:

right, HTML is a good start, but I wouldn´t recommend Python as first language. most OOP languages like C++ or Java have a very similar syntax, so if you began with Java but don´t really like it you can easily switch to C++ for example. but Maboroshi told me Python has a pretty different syntax, and when I look at a Python code I have to admit it confuses me a little, my Java- and Perl knowledge isn´t really helping.... :?

unsol

Post by unsol »

cool cool!

I do know some HTML already. I have made a few web pages using just a text editor, but recently it's mostly been with Dreamweaver or Frontpage (Whatever my friends need help with).

One of my good friends has taken a few years of class learning Java, so that would probably be a good option for me. I can understand C++ and Java (I actually did help my aforementioned friend with some smaller projects by checking his code. It's fairly simple to check for consistency and for missing symbols and what not) fairly well, as it's all good and logical =D Sooo... Yeah! Java will probably work well for me. Guess I could start there ^_^