[Project]Butane Thermal Energy Engine (aKa sucky jet engine)

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
eppik
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

New video

Post by eppik »

Ok here is the new video.
This time its a full pringles can, with 2 inline fans.
I suggest you use fullscreen for this, and put the volume way up, cuz only then you can hear the fire woooosh!

n'joy

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Have you tried hydrogen? I made a hydrogen extractor that takes water and separates hydrogen and oxygen from it. The shit burns nice. :twisted:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

eppik

Post by eppik »

floodhound2 wrote:Have you tried hydrogen? I made a hydrogen extractor that takes water and separates hydrogen and oxygen from it. The shit burns nice. :twisted:
Yeah the problem is that sometimes its hard to collect it, and then, how would i inject it safely?
~
Tough your right, water IS the mosv volatile explosive arround cuz you have 2 parts very flameable element + 1 part oxidizer (oxigen lol)
Recipe for disaster

But its too hard and time consuming to extract. I once trie a 24 volt 10amps power source and left it overnight ot fill a camera film casing (those cilindrical cases) and it wasnt completely filled. Guess i need to get a 220 DC power source muahaha (or the 400 amps soldering device lmao)

This next week im gonna get the goods from the hardware store hehe.

BTW Flood, i'm thinking of making a robot using those servos that make RC cars steer, i got a couple of them, and i tought of using 2 so you can steer like a tank. Thing is, should i atach it to some wheels or some catterpilars for it? Since you made a awsome robot...hehe

PS: neat idea floodhound, i'm gonna make aElectrolisis tut, you dont mind do ya? :)

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

eppik wrote:
BTW Flood, i'm thinking of making a robot using those servos that make RC cars steer, i got a couple of them, and i tought of using 2 so you can steer like a tank. Thing is, should i atach it to some wheels or some catterpilars for it? Since you made a awsome robot...hehe

PS: neat idea floodhound, i'm gonna make aElectrolisis tut, you dont mind do ya? :)
You mentioned the servos from an RC car. Keep in mind that most - only turn 180 degrees, so using them as a motor with wheels requires a hack on the servo. you might want to consider making it walk some how using guitar strings or some type of extension.

I would only encourage it a tut i enjoy reading them and learning form others. So tut away my friend.

As i type this i am thinking that my Hydrogen extractor did not take this long as was quite effective. Perhaps when i have more time i will dust it off and post a video on how i got it to work.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

eppik

Post by eppik »

floodhound2 wrote:
You mentioned the servos from an RC car. Keep in mind that most - only turn 180 degrees, so using them as a motor with wheels requires a hack on the servo. you might want to consider making it walk some how using guitar strings or some type of extension.
Yes i know, thats why i said it. If you open one you will see a plastic bit that stops the servo from doing 360's all arround. Quite easy to remove (i hope)

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

I once started researching into my own homemade jet engine.

...I ended up looking for turbochargers at a local junkyard.

I didn't find any..

Look..you REALLY got it wrong on how a jet engine works.
They usually have a small motor to start them.
Once they get going, air is taken in from the front and it's compressed.
After it's compressed, it's mixed with fuel and ignited.
The hot gases go through a turbine which speeds up the intake
repeat...
There are different kind of jet engines..but this is the basic concept.
(It should be obvious why I was looking for a turbocharger now..)

I saw the video..and honestly it looks like you're just blowing wind into a flame.
I've made a better "jet engine" with a vodka bottle and lighter.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

eppik

Post by eppik »

Necrix wrote:I once started researching into my own homemade jet engine.

...I ended up looking for turbochargers at a local junkyard.

I didn't find any..

Look..you REALLY got it wrong on how a jet engine works.
They usually have a small motor to start them.
Once they get going, air is taken in from the front and it's compressed.
After it's compressed, it's mixed with fuel and ignited.
The hot gases go through a turbine which speeds up the intake
repeat...
There are different kind of jet engines..but this is the basic concept.
(It should be obvious why I was looking for a turbocharger now..)

I saw the video..and honestly it looks like you're just blowing wind into a flame.
I've made a better "jet engine" with a vodka bottle and lighter.
Yeah i know. THere are lots of instructables in how to make a jet engine. Thing is that, just like you, there arent any Turbochargers in the local Junkyard.

If you read the first thread you it says the same as you.

Mainly my idea was to atach a turbocharger to a steel box to mix the air with fuel (butane) then those fumes would make the turbine spin faster, increasing therefore the speed of the air intake.

Tought the combustion chamber must have the right size or it will either not work, or it may explode. Also you must have a pre-feed ventilated tube for the air. To stop the air from combusting as soon as it enters the combustion chamber

Necrix
The Hacker Wolf
The Hacker Wolf

Post by Necrix »

Sorry about that post, I guess I was kind of being an asshole.
Later, and don't stop experimenting.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

eppik

Post by eppik »

Necrix wrote:Sorry about that post, I guess I was kind of being an asshole.
Later, and don't stop experimenting.
Ah nobody blames ya. Stay cool.