how to recover a bios password

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
draugr
forum buddy
forum buddy

how to recover a bios password

Post by draugr »

hejs
i have a asus v1s notebook. now yesterday i wanted to change something in the bios but the password i typed in (and i was a 100% sure, that this pw was the right) was wrong, now how can I set the bios to default?

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Re: how to recover a bios password

Post by Big-E »

draugr wrote:hejs
i have a asus v1s notebook. now yesterday i wanted to change something in the bios but the password i typed in (and i was a 100% sure, that this pw was the right) was wrong, now how can I set the bios to default?
It's a wee bit hard with a laptop, but if you reset the cmos by popping out the battery on the mobo - the pw will be reset.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

If you get an external floppy drive for it, you can flash the BIOS. Or if it is set to boot on USB, you could try with flashing it with an USB stick. May work with CD as well ^^

Google it :roll:
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

draugr
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by draugr »

i've already googled it but i thought there'd be another way without putting out the battery, because i have no idea of laptop hardware, i'm a little afraid of putting it out - the laptop is pretty new and i don't want to destroy something.. :(
@ cats: thx for the advice but i have set the bios to boot first from the hard drive, so neither a USB stick nor a CD would work, i think.
edit: i'll may try it with an external floppy, let's see if it works ;)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

You don't need to pop out the battery. Most, if not all, newer computers come with a jumper near the cmos battery which will reset the bios password if left off for 1 to 2 minutes. If anything, give that a shot.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

I would rather take out a big clunky battery opposed to a tiny small jumper though. :P Plus regardless, he will have to open up his case and I don't think he wants to do that. So he is pretty screwed if he doesnt want to open up his laptop.

He cannot boot to USB, therefore he cant even flash the BIOS like cats suggested.

draugr
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by draugr »

Big-E wrote:I would rather take out a big clunky battery opposed to a tiny small jumper though. :P Plus regardless, he will have to open up his case and I don't think he wants to do that. So he is pretty screwed if he doesnt want to open up his laptop.

He cannot boot to USB, therefore he cant even flash the BIOS like cats suggested.
Yeah I think I'll give that a try, because - i do not know where the battery or the jumper is (in my laptop) :?

edit: what i am wondering about, why my password is wrong, 'cause i am a 100 % sure that i typed in that one :D

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

case sensitive pwd

Post by DNR »

Your password maybe case sensitive, try your password again, with caps, in all caps, and lower case.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

draugr
forum buddy
forum buddy

Re: case sensitive pwd

Post by draugr »

DNR wrote:Your password maybe case sensitive, try your password again, with caps, in all caps, and lower case.

DNR
thx for the advice but i've already tryed it
today im looking forward to flash the bios

thx @ all

Oppconsulting
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by Oppconsulting »

there are disks that will reset it without flashing the bios they are boot disks like hirens boot cd 9 whatever version and other boot cds that I have that will reset the bios passsword with out opening the case or flashing the bios 8O 8O 8O 8O

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

draugr wrote:
Big-E wrote:I would rather take out a big clunky battery opposed to a tiny small jumper though. :P Plus regardless, he will have to open up his case and I don't think he wants to do that. So he is pretty screwed if he doesnt want to open up his laptop.

Yeah I think I'll give that a try, because - i do not know where the battery or the jumper is (in my laptop) :?

edit: what i am wondering about, why my password is wrong, 'cause i am a 100 % sure that i typed in that one :D
If you tell me your laptop model I can find you instructions to take apart your case and it's a matter of a quick glance on the mobo before you will find the jumpers and/or battery.