I'm going to Munich when I graduate!

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'm going to Munich when I graduate!

Post by Stavros »

This is way off topic, but I can't keep it in any more. I though since bad_brain is from Germany maybe I'd be able to ask about how to spell some German words. I can speak a little German, but I can't read it. I am making an effort to learn at least basic German. Anyway, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Cheers.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

sure you can ask... :wink:
and congrats, Munich is real nice! well, it´s a big city like many others, but you just have to drive some minutes and you´re in the midddle of the Alps! my sister lives half an hour away from Munich and when I visit her I´m always impressed by the beautiful landmark, it´s the best part of germany imo... :)

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Here's a few words I've not been able to figure out the spelling to in German (I know how to say the words, just not spell them):

-Understand
-Speak
-You (I know "I" in English is "Ich")

Hmm. Can't remember anymore. Funny little story. Me and my dad were riding home from town and we were listening to disc 6 (maybe 5, maybe 7 I don't remember.) and we got to "Do you want something to drink/Do you want something to eat". A little after that we started to learn "I would like some beer" and "More beer, please" and dad said, "Now we're getting somewhere." I thought it was funny. Dad isn't a big drinker (he can make a 6 pack last awhile. Anyways, I just thought that was funny and decided to share that. Cheers.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

Was this some kind of "learn german for the Oktoberfest"-CD? :lol:

k, here we go:

- understand = verstehen
- speak = sprechen
- you = du (if you mean a single person), ihr (for a group of persons)

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Hmm. They didn't cover "du" and "ihr" on the CDs (yet, haven't completed the course). What they covered was "Sie" as in "Sprechen sie Deutsch?" (that s in Deutsch always throws me off).

Hahaha! When is Oktoberfest? Dad said it was during September, but he's not from Germany, so I don't know if I he's right. If it is in September school will have started in early August (which the school board or Congress (I don't remember which) keeps adding days and completely negating the point of adding days by adding more holidays) [/rant] I know that the World Cup is being played in Berlin sometime during June, so we won't actually be in Germany until July (I think).

I have a question for you: (assuming you were born in Germany, which I think is a safe assumption) what motivated you to learn English? I ask because you seem to have a very thorough understanding of the English language and I read somewhere that if people want to talk to someone in English they would have a better chance speaking to someone under 30. I think they said that because the school system forces everyone to learn English as a second language. I think if school systems do that, our school system should make people learn a second language too. [/rant]

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um,well, "you" means "du" AND "sie"....lets say you know someone named Alexander Foobar and you meet him, if he´s some kind of friend and you greet him like "hey Alexander" then you would use "du", but if he´s your boss you would say "hello Mr. Foobar" and so you would use "sie" in a conversation.....pretty strangely explained, but it´s already late... :lol:

Oktoberfest is 16. Sep. - 03. Oct., but well, you´ll not miss anything except masses of drunken retards... :lol:

and well, my english could be better... :oops: but yes, you have to learn a second language in school, our school system is pretty different from the US one, but the 2nd language is the only positive side imo. you start with school in the age of 6 and at the age of 10 it´s decided which school you have visit then. there are 3 kinds of schools, and if you have to visit the "lowest" one you have not much job perspectives later. only if you were allowed to visit the top level school you can study later....so your future is already decided for you when you´re 10.... :? even I was visiting the middle level school most of my english skills came from playing pool in a pub which was mostly visited by american soldiers when I was a teenager, it was the best pool table in town...and of course from talking to my suck-o buddies... :D

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Language: On the CD they pronounced German (male/female) different. It was a little difficult to hear the difference, but for me after playing guitar and taking one class of French 1 it was pretty easy for me to discern the difference. I just want you to tell me if this is the right spelling:

-Deutsch (male)
-Deutscha (female)

Beer: Is the legal drinking age 16? That's what one of my teachers I had last year told my broter (the was a Geologist and visited Germany and Switzerland in the '80's before he became a teacher). That was about 20 years ago, so I don't know.

School system: Is it a big difference in job opportunities in the "middle" and "high" school? I'm intrigued with the school system. Our school system teaches to the retard of the class. I swear, we should have a system similar to the one over there. At least I wouldn't have to put up with so many dumbasses.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

um,you mean like in "he/she is a german"?
male would be Deutscher
female Deutsche
:wink:

hehe, yeah it´s still legal to buy/drink beer at the age of 16.... :lol:

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Update.

Well, my dad has been calling and after several weeks on the phone with Delta Airlines we got a flight to Munich. Unfortunately, the return flight is a month from the arrival flight. I'm sketchy on the details after that. The flight isn't direct because then my brother wouldn't be able to tag along.

More updates to come.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

when you have the exact date let me know, beer is already in the fridge... :D

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Woo Hoo! Another update!

A day or so ago (or maybe a week), my dad got a call from his fiancee to say that she has at least gotten us a flight to Munich. Still working on a return flight. Turns out money might be tighter than first predicted. It's going to run about $3,300 USD just to get us there ($1,100 USD per person). Things look slightly better than they did before.

More updates to come.

[Edit] Apperently, we never had a flight booked to Munich in the first place. Well, better start brushing up on my German.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Congrats, dude.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Well, I haven't really been keeping up with the flight plans all that well since March, but yesterday it was all laid out for me.

Tomorrow we leave at about 7-8 in the morning and spend an entire day in airports (hooray!).

From US to destination (Austria):
Mississippi, USA -> Atlanta, GA, USA -> Cinncinnatti, USA -> Amsterdam -> Vienna Austria

I'll be out of contact for two weeks.

Anyway, just an update.

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 08:12, edited 2 times in total.
Any fool can count the seeds in an apple. Only God can count all the apples in one seed. ~Robert H. Schuller
God is the greatest.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

Haha, yea we're gonna be in layover at Amsterdam, but we won't be there long enough to leave the airport.