Dont want to reinstall

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
Macross
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Dont want to reinstall

Post by Macross »

Ok so heres my problem i have installed windows and then ubuntu + grub loader and so one day i wanted to boot my xp and i saw this error C:\System32\config\system corrupted file or missing. Then i booted up linux looked up for info about this error found commands witch should help repair windows but no success...Oh well then i thought i will reinstall windows and when i did reinstall i saw that grub is missing. So i looked up for a tutorial and found this one http://apcmag.com/5459/dualboot_ubuntu_and_windows_xp (how to restore grub) but when i boot from ubuntu's live cd and take off the flag "boot" from windows partition and restart my pc then i get grub list but then i cant boot linux or windows (im suppose to boot up linux and via terminal install grub)
. And i dont want to reinstall Linux cuz i finally got it working well with compiz fusion and other stuff... Any ideas?

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

did you read what Cats wrote in your previous topic?.

first windows then grub, if you then install windows again grub table data will be deleted. thus making you not able to boot linux.

best way is just to get a clean start with the whole procedure because repairing can actually cause more damage in the long run.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

hmm, sounds like a real mess you got there :lol:

Well, i suggest that you try to save the data that you still want to have =/ (live CD maybe?, or put the HDD in another computer as a slave and take the data)

And then reinstall everything, if you are afraid that you wont get the compiz app and stuff working then don't worry ^^ What do you think Suck-o is here for? :wink:
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Macross

Post by Macross »

Well ok then going to install fresh copy.