php search engine

Questions about programming languages and debugging
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

php search engine

Post by visser »

Ok me and diagnol have been working on this website for our journalism class. were trying to build a search bar for it. the general idea is that it searches the mysql databases for the news article containing the search word.

the problem is that we have tried so many different codes. and googled for days. and still nothing. perhaps you guys could help us.

i myself when i see a code revers engineer it to figure out what it does. if you dont want to post code. dont. if you could that would be great. anything that could help us in the right direction is what we really really need.

thanks to all!

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Easiest would be to learn the basics of PHP =)

won't take more then 2-3 days, if that even.....

It's all very simple =)

you just need a code that sends a query to the mysql server and asks for the info supplied, then generates a HTML page with the results....basically =)

i can't post it here, but if you are not up for the "learning" part. Then give me the word and I'll help you out =)

visser

Post by visser »

hey. were trying to learn it. lol. We have a friend that knows it very well. not even he can figure out whats giong on. all sorts of fun and troubles. if you could send me a script, if anyone could sned me a script, we just need an idea of what it has to look like. anybody please. were getting desperate! lol

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Well it's not so much the php you need to know, but rather, SQL. The php should just consist of a textbox and perhaps checkboxes if you only wanted to search a specific area of the site, then that form would pass the values to a SQL DB which it would then query to retrieve various results. For example, I search fro APPLE - then the DB query SELECT * FROM documents WHERE MATCH searchString AGAINST table_to_be_searched.

Search the internet for Full Text Searching, you could read up on it and get information from the internet quicker and easier than it would be for me to type it up and explain it. It's a common knowledge, so should be plenty of info around.

visser

Post by visser »

ok. big e that was more helpful than you know. weve been searching google for about 5 days now looking for php. now we will look more for mysql. lol. hopefully we can find something. thatnks to big e and cats for the help.

anyone else have something helpful?