System Crash

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.
Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

System Crash

Post by Big-E »

So I was cleaning out the clumps of dust (yes, clumps) from my heatsink of my server. It's a beasty 2.4GHZ Celeron D, so its not the coolest running processor. Anyway, I tried re-situating the HS a couple times, and it still crashes about 10 seconds into boot (without a POST beep). I also don't think it's the PSU because it was working just before I pulled the heatsink off, but maybe it is. I currently dont have any thermal paste to apply ATM kicking around and its too late to pick some up at the local store - but I guess my question being is. Can it REALLY overheat that quick, to cause it to halt??

Oh yeah, I reset my CMOS to ensure that wasnt causing any issues there - still no luck.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

yes it is possible. I tested it one with my P4. after turning it on it took 5 seconds.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Completely take off the heatsink and remove the processor. Check for any bent or missing prongs on the cpu. Then, put it back in and try starting it up. That's the only thing i can think of...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Re: System Crash

Post by Lyecdevf »

Big-E wrote:I currently dont have any thermal paste to apply
You should use it and also I think that it is better to clean the computer using compressed air. I think you should get those two computer accessories next time you visit the comptuer shop! :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Yes it can overheat without thermo compound, but even if you had a minute amount it would work. I am thinking that you might have bent a pin, or worse created ESD damage.

Stupid suggestion – make sure to check the air flow of the CPU fan. It should be blowing air over the heat sink towards the motherboard not away.

If you find that you have a bent CPU pin use a mechanical pencil, but take the led out first. This will allow you to fit the tip of the pencil over the CPU pin/s and bend them back.

Always remember ESD!
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Okay, so I finally got it working. It was indeed due to the fan, the fan was broken of which I already knew. Anyway. So I went around to various shops in town to find a replacing fan of similar size. None. Then, I went in search of a whole new S478 Heat Sink, Radio Shack didnt even know what a heat sink was..wtf? (I was force to visit them, due to there only being 2 shops in town both of which didn't have a heatsink nor a fan which would fit)

So my resolution? I bought a slightly smaller fan in size, took a strip of metal and bolted it down to the heat sink, drilled new holes in that piece of metal and screwed in the fan. It's quite possibly the dodgiest case mod ever, but it works. All is well, and temps are in control - acpi -t returns 42 C.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Glad you got it up and running. Also great that you finished this thread. I love a happy ending...

P.S. I am sure you have protection from overheating set in the BIOS; if not make sure to set it. Just making sure you remembered. From your initial thread it appears that indeed it is set and working.

:wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

jasonxxx102
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by jasonxxx102 »

The best way to not overheat is to buy a watercooled HS its a bit expensive but it works great

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

jasonxxx102 wrote:The best way to not overheat is to buy a watercooled HS its a bit expensive but it works great
First this posting is over and completed

Second water cooling is the worst!
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ