Packet loss in game : (

About your favorite games!
svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Packet loss in game : (

Post by svyatko »

When ever I play a game (Warrock) I keep getting Packet loss. Anyone know how to fix this? it hasn't ever happened, it just started. I have DSL 3mbps. Is this because of my connection or the game server?

Is there anything i can do?

jasonxxx102
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by jasonxxx102 »

The game server itself might be messed up. Or you could just be gettin half of a connection like half ur packets recieved half lost. Try going to the start menu and it run then type cmd then A black box should pop up then you should type ping gameserversipaddresshere try that if your only recieving half the packets you might want to contact your isp

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

Well I would do that but I dont have the server IP. When I go in to the game I log in and then I get the server names and thats it. Any idea how I can get the info?

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

ummm Idk type NSLOOKUP in cmd and then type in the website name then you can get the ip address

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

I did what you said, got the IP. then I did ping and no packets were lost. Hmm, any more ideas?

jasonxxx102

Post by jasonxxx102 »

Sorry dude if its not showing any packets lost than there isnt any lost... Where does it tell you and how does it tell you packets are lost?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

jasonxxx102 wrote:ummm Idk type NSLOOKUP in cmd and then type in the website name then you can get the ip address
I seriously doubt that the web server and game servers are on the same host....

svyatko: Give us more details about the problem, for example how can you know that there is a loss? where do you see this? and also make sure that you are not having something on in the background that might disturb the game, other random app's might take up to much resources for the game to be run properly, like an Anti Virus/Internet Security or maybe a download application.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, maybe your MTU is set too high and packets are fragmented because of that?
the default MTU size is usually 1492, to see if the packets are fragmented or not ping your game server this way:

Code: Select all

ping www.yourgameserver.com -f -l 1492
check the output, if you see "Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set." the MTU is set too high, decrease the size step by step until there is no fragmentation-message anymore.

let us know what size you can use, if necessary we'll guide you through adjusting it...;)

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

cats wrote:I seriously doubt that the web server and game servers are on the same host....
Thats what I'm thinking too.

I get this message when I'm in the game and Punk buster (Punk buster is a program against hacking) kicks me and says packet loss between you and the game server. Usually when i play the game i have Ventrilo on and x-fire, but even if they are off it still kicks me out of the server. I have Symantec AntiVirus running maybe thats the problem, but i doubt it.

How do i get the game server?

also i did the test and :

when I ping www.warrock.net -f -l 1464 i get request timed out.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

is it Symantec Anti Virus or Symantec Internet Security, there is a great difference between the two of them.

It might be that your firewall has created a rule to drop packets from that application. You might also want to check if there is a newer version of Punkbuster or the game, i have had similar problems with Punkbuster.

EDIT: i get request time out as well with "ping www.warrock.net -f -l 1464" but not with a regular ping, for your information.

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

I have symantec anti virus. Thats the first thing I did was update the punk buster. hmmm .

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Is there a delay between the time you join a server and the point that you get kicked out?

For example

1: Join
2: Play
3: 5 min delay....
4: kick

or something like that?

Do you have a firewall at all?

Also, have you noticed other things than the game that has been troubling you?

svyatko
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by svyatko »

Usually happens when I join a room in the server and it kicks me on the 4th-6th round of the game (about 5 -10 min). Also it always happens on close quarter combat maps (the small maps).Mostly kicks me at night( too much people on? Doesn't kick me as much at day). Punkbuster kicks me on big maps but its not because of packet loss, something else don't remember(almost never happens but when does it will keep kicking me for about 10 hours from the big maps).

I have the firewall on in the Local Area Connection Properties and thats it.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well in that case i guess you could try to turn of your firewall and then tyr to play again.

Make sure that the firewall really is TURNED OFF.....they tend to stay in the process list....

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

did some 1 ever thought the port might not be set open correctly?.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]