[Help] Cola in keyboard

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
ayu
Staff
Staff

[Help] Cola in keyboard

Post by ayu »

Ok so yesterday i got some Coca Cola in the keyboard, i reacted fast and saved most of the keyboard, so far i have managed to limit the cola spread to the "m , ." buttons.

Problem is that those buttons are really hard to use now >_<.

Does anyone have any good tip on how to get it clean again?

I already bought a new keyboard like 1 month ago because i did the same shit with the old one, but the old one was totally useless after the incident.

EDIT: It's a keyboard with flat keys so they can not be removed, thus hard to clean.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, best would be to disassemble it and clean everything by hand with glass-cleaner for example...but of course this is a lot of work and some keyboards can't be disassembled... :?
dish-washer would be an option too, but I would recommend at least 2-3 days to let it dry afterwards...if you want it quicker you can use ethanol from a sprayer, you can get it in shops that sell electronic parts for example. should be dry in 1 day, and ethanol don't leave any stains... :wink:

jasonxxx102
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by jasonxxx102 »

Buy a latex keyboard u can spill all the pop u want and it will never get damaged

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

jasonxxx102 wrote:Buy a latex keyboard u can spill all the pop u want and it will never get damaged
Unfortunately the damage has already been made =P

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Hey, I did the same thing except with beer one night when I passed out this summer.

Well, when I woke up most of the damage was already done..it started to dry and shit already. But I did do the following:

Turned it upside down until it completely dried, and then when it was dry I took wet wipes (the lysol ones, just to be extra clean) and wiped down the keyboard nice and good. When all was said and done, I have only a sticky Home and End key, on my key board.

My keys where also flat, but if you gently forced them (atleast with mine) they may come up. I didn't think they would, but I tried anyway as worse case scenario I was going to break the home key which stuck down anyway and much to my surprise they did pop up. What is the model keyboard?

Also, you could try and takea q-tip moistened with some solvent cleaner and see if you can clean underneath, a bit, with that.

I guess that is all for my suggestions, beer is a bit less sticky than pop - but sticky nonetheless.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

I always put mine in the dishwasher (turn off the dry setting) then let sit for a day and dry out. Never fails.
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Why do not you get one of those see through covering for the keyboard. I do not use one my self because as you guys already know I take cleaning of my keyboard very seriously.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Thanks for the tips guys ^^ i will have another go with it to get it clean.

The keyboard is a Logitech UltraX Premium

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

God, i'm the soda spilling king. My keyboard has had soda spilt on it about ehh... 5 times now i think. All i do is grab a bunch of q-tips and some rubbing alcohol (preferably 90%), then just shove it down inside of the keys. I did this on my laptop, which has those flat keys you were talking about, and those keys are pretty flexible, so don't worry about shoving a q-tip underneat the keys. (the hard part is getting it out without the cotton being pulled off the q-tip). So just be careful on how you clean it, and maybe one of those clear keyboard covers isn't such a bad idea ;).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Tried with some paper some toothpicks and some window cleaning...seemed to work at first....but when it dried, it still didn't work....becoming really annoying...

Any more ideas?

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

well, you really have to flush it with cleaning fluid...I guess when it was wet the cleaning fluid made it possible to close the contacts, but when it was gone the cola blocked the contacts again.... :? no dish washer available?

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

if you want white, use hard bleach :).
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

cats wrote:Tried with some paper some toothpicks and some window cleaning...seemed to work at first....but when it dried, it still didn't work....becoming really annoying...
That must be really tedious. I would just take it apart take the electronics out wash it and back together. No more than an hour of work. That is what I would do because I like to have things done well but I understand many people would not want to spend half an hour refering to a picture to put back all the keys on the keyboard. Any way if this happened to you twice in one month maybe you should eat and drink in the kitchen and do not bring food and beverages to your computer desk. :D
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Well like i said, it can't be taken apart ^^

that's why it's so hard to clean

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

Go to onhe of your friend house who has a dishwasher... do not put any soap in it... and turn off the dryer. I haven't tried it yet but that's how they clean keyboard in most school.

Make sure you let it dry for 3-4 days.
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.