Wireless question

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
isapiens
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by isapiens »

while we are on the topic... i just got a GPS recently. Any links of top of your head about mapping the networks with a GPS?

The only wardriving website i know is www.wardriving.com, but the guy doesnt update it anymore...
Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

oh

Post by DNR »

too early in the am, but off the top of my head - try webstumbler - a plugin for Netstumbler..

more on a day off :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Deth
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Deth »

Just connect as I would for my router? this doesn't appear to be working, I tried. 8O

As far as getting the signal down any further I think it might be one of my neighbors, as the signal was different each time the van was parked in a different place, and now it's low, but the signal is still there. I searched the surrounding streets to find it is absent.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

port configr

Post by DNR »

Remember one thing, your 'receive' and transmit signal strength are not the same.

When you connect to the wifi service, you are issued an IP and accepted as part of that network. You can http: the IP of web-admin page. Just like you said, you'd connect to a router admin page.. :wink:

The AP can be configured NOT to have web-admin/remote access. The PORT of the http: could be changed, like 8081 rather than 80, or 8080..

http://192.168.1.1:8080 etc

Alrighty :wink:

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Deth
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Deth »

After watching the house for a while, I found out who the owner of the AP was. It was harmless, just a home network. Thanks for the help guys. 8)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

more education on wifi

Post by DNR »

Deth,
yea so a little detective work worked out for you :wink:
Also consider this:
Some wifi devices you pick up on your scanner (netstumbler) are computers - not a wifi AP. Therefore, they do not connect or function the same way a AP does. Remember in a wifi network there will be TWO devices broadcasting - the AP and the computers that use them. The APs you can connect to just like your own network AP - go to the default IP and port and there is the admin page.. But the computer that is broadcasting from its wifi card does not act like a AP, there is no default admin page or port. Beside the computer might not have file sharing enabled, and its host-based firewall will block you and likely alert the owner of a attempted connection to their machine. Computers broadcasting will show as peer-to-peer on netstumbler.

Have a nice day

DNR
-