Which anti-virus?

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
TheZomi
forum buddy
forum buddy

Which anti-virus?

Post by TheZomi »

Hello guys

Which antivirus is the best in the world. I have had good experience with Norton but it slow down my system. I'm looking for lightweight antivirus but good security features.

Thanks

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

There is no such thing as the best anti virus in the world since people have different opinions and needs.

But i can recommend "Kaspersky 6.0" since it's light weight and very secure with many options to fit your needs.

You actually had a "good" experience with Norton? what brainwashing material have you watched? :roll:
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

alien100
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by alien100 »

well there is lots of good antiviruses .. it would be better to go to a download site and look at the reviews.. then you could try them out for yourself and use whatever suits you best ..
only use one !
[img]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9128/sig3copyyybq4.jpg[/img]

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

@off topic

Hey Alien! :D long time no see ^^

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Well NOD32 is regarded to be the best so you could go for that one. While I personally would chose ZoneAlarm.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

one AVP, twwwoo AVP heheheh

Post by DNR »

You can have TWO antiviruses,one AVP can run automatically, the other AVP can be turned on and directed to a specific file. The reason this is important and useful - one AVP might detect a virus, while another does not. Also one AVP might trigger an alert, but give little reason, the second AVP that you use to scan the suspected file, might give you more information on what the problem is.

Running two firewalls is a waste of resources.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

TheZomi
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by TheZomi »

Running two AVP? I think there can be some conflict between the two AVP although I didnot try it yet.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

2 AVs usually cause no problems, 2 (desktop) firewalls often do... :wink:

I can also recommend Kaspersky 6, it's lightweight and highly configurable....the firewall is also VERY good....version 7 is bloated and needs more resources, so 6 is the better choice... :wink:

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

cats wrote:There is no such thing as the best anti virus in the world since people have different opinions and needs.

But i can recommend "Kaspersky 6.0" since it's light weight and very secure with many options to fit your needs.

You actually had a "good" experience with Norton? what brainwashing material have you watched? :roll:
I have to say I am leeching norton 360 from my dad, and its been good to me since. no high resource drain, does it routine checks at night and pretty much doesnt bother me.
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

lightcrowler
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by lightcrowler »

Good experience with norton??...don't think so.
I would suggest Kaspersky 6.0/7.0 or NOD32.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

I used Norton for years, the main reason why I got away from it was the fact you can't exclude every file you want to from being deleted, in some cases Norton simply overrides the user. after I switched to Kaspersky my system was a LOT faster than before.
Norton is also a very bad choice if you are into web dev, because it makes debugging almost impossible in some cases. the Norton proxy service places some weird Javascript in the source, and this gave me a very hard time to make sites w3c-compliant because it's very hard to tell what are real errors and what is caused by Norton.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

other facts about AVP and internet threats, Defcon

Post by DNR »

Here was an interesting mention about AVPs
In Black Hat DC keynote, current and former government officials discuss emerging Internet threats FEBRUARY 20, 2008 | 1:47 PM
In a recent study, Team Cymru ran 1,066 pieces of current malware against 32 antivirus packages. The AV products detected only 37 percent of the malware. "A lot of people still think that because they have AV tools in place, they must be safe," Dixon said. "We have to help them understand that that's not the case."
Full Article here
http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=146485

Other tidbits
Team Cymru has detected some 3.6 million command and control relations on the Web, which suggests a huge growth in botnet traffic, Dixon said. "And that's just what we know about," he says. "With increasing use of P2P and encryption, botnets are becoming very difficult to detect."
The IRS also is making a conscious effort to expose vulnerabilities among taxpayers, Frieh said. Many hackers are moving away from direct attacks on Websites and seeking to install keyloggers and other malware, he observed. "Pretty soon there won't be a need for phishing sites," he said. "It'll all be done through keyloggers."

The agency is also taking a close look at P2P vulnerabilities, Frieh said. "Every year we do a P2P scan to see what we can find," he said. "You'd be surprised now many tax returns we can find with a simple scan."
:wink:
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Prior to 2004 every one was using Norton. It was a house hold name and it seems that it still resonates with many but when in 2004 the new version came out it was not any good. I never used it after that and ever one was telling me not to use it any more.
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

zodiac1989

Post by zodiac1989 »

I personally use AVG Free. It has done well for me for the past 3 years.

pois0n
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by pois0n »

Kaspersky is my favorite. It deletes certain commercial spyware that other Anti-Virus' don't, plus it doesn't slow down your computer as much.