How-to for beginners

For beginners, flames not allowed...(just by the staff :P)
bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

How-to for beginners

Post by bad_brain »

K, many people ask how to begin with hacking, so I wrote this little How-To:

Many beginners think that it´s possible to get some "hacking programs", click on some buttons on a GUI and voila: "I´m a hacker now!" Nope, you aren´t, even a chimpansee can be teached to do this. Booting people in chat rooms? Sorry, absolutely no hacking too...
<b>So, what is hacking?</b>
Hacking is about learning and understanding how things work and how to manipulate these things. If your intention is "I want to crack sites and break into other peoples computers" you won´t get far, sooner or later you´ll cross a dude with much better skills than yours and you´ll get whacked, or you´ll end up in a prison cell with some sweaty, smelly and hairy guys which will call you "sugarbutt".
<b>So, where to start?</b>
Well, most people start with trojans, right? (come on, admit it) It´s fun at the beginning because it gives you the feeling to do something "malicious", but don´t waste too much time with it.
Start with HTML! It´s really easy to learn and gives you a understanding how websites generally work. K, you might say "HTML is no real programming language!", but hey, it´s like getting a driving license: It´s stoopid to get a Porsche as your first car,right?
If you have HTML skills you can expand them with JavaScript, it gives you a first, tiny look into real coding and is still pretty easy to learn.
<b>Well, now it´s time to get into the real stuff:</b>
Choose your first programming language!
Which one? I would say a OOP language (Object Orientated Programming) would be the right thing, like Java, C++, Perl or many others.
I would recommend Java, but ask a C++ coder and he´ll tell you C++ is the best... :lol:
Well, for both languages you´ll find good tutorial/ebooks to dl on this site.
Some people will say "assembler is the one to learn!". Well, Assembler is the most powerful language, but it´s very hard to learn because it´s "close to the machine" and therefore not really userfriendly, you will have to deal with real abstract code, so imo it´s a bad choice for the first language because it will frustrate you pretty soon.
So, download the Java SDK, change the PATH variable to the Java bin-folder and you can start! The beginning is a little pain in the ass because you have to understand first what "object orientated" means, but after let´s say 2-3 weeks you´ll be into it and can continiue with the Java packages, most fun for beginners is the AWT-package because it enables you to build GUIs for example. In the packages everything is documented, but imo it´s better to learn from books, the o´reilly-ones are pretty nice for example.

<b>What else?</b>
You need knowledge of the most used protocols of the tcp/ip-family, because that´s the stuff on which the net is built. If you want to learn about scanning use nmap, you´ll learn more out of it than with all other scanning programs because you have to learn about the protocols to be enabled to use it properly.
Scanning can be labeled as a attack, so don´t go out there and scan whole IP-ranges without any sense. Setup a second computer(I use a old PII, good enough, you can even install Apache on it for further experiments), build a home network and increase your skills the safe way. This enables you to see how the scanned system reacts too.

Well, that´s it for now, I´ll add some stuff here if I feel the need to...
Happy hacking! :wink:

Ameradi
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by Ameradi »

Please , Read this too http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html ...
It Helps ..
and for Mirc users select this server :
Undernet , Random EU server or Undernet Random US server and join the followed channels to learn more about programms [THROUGH the IRC] for example like c or c++
just type /join #<the channel that you want > like /join #java or /join #php ... There you will find alot of helpers and Pro !

Thanx alot

kip
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by kip »

nice thread bad brain.
if you want to learn set you self some goals like...
Goal 1: Learn C++ or pearl
Goal 2: Install and start learning FreeBSD
Goal 3: Learn a phreaking technique that works in your area
Goal 4: Begin a collection of accounts (dial up and shell) that you have
access to)
Goal 5: Learn a bit about electronics, its always useful to modify some
technology
Goal 6: Install and learn about a web server, get exploits and use them on
yourself at first.
these are an example. listen to people that pass there knowledge. and do lots of reading its a pain in the as* but you won't learn overnight in your dreams.
while learning its allway best to practice. but dont do anything illegl.
these sites are usefull.
http://www.try2hack.nl/
hackme
http://www.hackthissite.org/
http://www.scifi.pages.at/hackits/
practice * hackits.
have fun and stay safe
knowledge is power

CyberPulse
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Great Sites

Post by CyberPulse »

Those are some great sites to test your abilities. Most of you all may already know about this site, but www.hackr.org is another good site to test your skills. Also, www.progenic.com lists some hacker sites to check out.

Ameradi
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by Ameradi »

Kip .. nice steps and nice websites !! Thanx alot for that !

cyperpulse .. Those were really great websites , That appears so strange me www.hackr.org have been designed the same way as www.learntohack.org !!

Ameradi
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by Ameradi »

Oh .. sorry guys ! a Misapprehension , They are the same: www.learntohack.org and
www.hackr.org !! How fool ! :lol:

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

I have started my own site on the net about hacking. Here it is:

http://www.freewebs.com/lyecdevf/

I have just started and if you want to sugest about what I should add to it I would very much appreciate it. Thanks!

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

nice site man... :)
well, because it´s a free webspace I don´t think there´s much place for files,
so I would recommend to simply add little tuts about the stuff you learned. it´s good for you because when you write stuff down you can keep easier it in mind so the learning effect is better, but it´s also good for other beginners because they get a clue where/how to start... :)

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Another place to start which i found pretty cool is http://happyhacker.org/

I actually stopped being a script kiddie because of that site. But the site teaches you small tricks, explains how they work, and how to integrate that skill into other things you could do. Not a malicious website in any way.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Nevermore97

Post by Nevermore97 »

ok.. well.. i m a complete newbie in hacking stuff but i really wanna learn it :)
Start with HTML! It´s really easy to learn and gives you a understanding how websites generally work
as bad_brain said start with learning HTML, i m just about to finish learning it from:
http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_intro.asp

the problem actually is that i m confused with which programming language to learn. some are recommending C++, some Java etc etc..

My friends says learning Java is very hard, while it is more useful than C++.. is this right ??? plz help! :(

FrankB
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics
Ph. D. in Sucko'logics

Post by FrankB »

Nevermore97 wrote: My friends says learning Java is very hard, while it is more useful than C++.. is this right ??? plz help! :(
That's a discussion only the future can tell but it seems Java is on the winning hand.
C,C++ though is still *the* language reference and most used.
1) Why? Because it is closer to real "low-level" programming.
2) The Java programmers that make Java successful still use C, C++ or variants and most Java programmers (not really the webdevelopers) are ex C language folks.

I think that's it and also the reason for the intellectual fight between Java-folks and hardcore-C folks ( huh, Bad_Brain ? ;-))

Once you learned one language very good, learning another is not hard at all, the hard part is maintaining your knowledge in those additional languages you learned.

One thing can occur also : you just dislike or cannot cope with the syntax of a language: you don't feel it and it looks awkward and ugly, so you might have it harder to memorise than another language.

--
FrankB

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hehe...yeah Frank...;P
well, C++ is still "bigger" than Java, but Java has a big plus: it´s 100% portable between different OSs. code a Java-app on a Linux-box and it´ll run on XP and Mac too, also it´s more secure than C++ which is a big issue already and will even be bigger in the future.
I´m not really into C++, but I think it´s easier to learn for a beginner, handling classes in Java can drive you insane at the beginning, I know what I´m talking about... :lol:
but I don´t think Java is more "useful" than C++, at least not yet, so simply start with the language which you find easier to learn, when you know C++ it´s no problem to get into Java later because all OOP languages are pretty familiar.... :wink:

shunpei

Post by shunpei »

yup java is difficult..but C++ is easier than java..but one more language will drive you crazy is ASSEMBLY..my brain is twisting whenever our professor gives us a programs..what the f**k but it is useful for me..
[img]http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2936/test9gd17uv.gif[/img]

[img]http://r1.fodey.com/1fa9dcd414d4f4c2e94c3d5623d0c3e93.1.gif[/img]

[img]http://r1.fodey.com/1a81f33478f5943078972d670d84d00[/img]

Nevermore97

Post by Nevermore97 »

i think ill learn C++ because it looks more easy and user friendly.. :D
thanx

GODhack
On the way to fame!
On the way to fame!

Post by GODhack »

I think Perl is the best language for "wannabe hacker". It is very easy(more easy than C++) and Perl works on almost all OS'es. Perl is very good for writing small aplications for warious tasks.

And the most important thing for newbie that very big percent of exploits is in Perl language so then you have experience with Perl exploits do not look like "X21=-0;xc -0cv0/..." for you. You can analyze/customise them.

Other good thing that together with Perl you can learn about Linux/BSD.

~~
For newbie also important to learn how internet works(playing with trojans help with this little). It is possible to read books about TCP, IP ... HTTP ... ...
Another way is just download Sniffer(Like: Etheral.com) Turn it on and just surf web/check mail etc. and analyze DATA form Etheral line by line. == Just watch REAL internet, not ten times reproduced stuff from IE 6.0.