What was your turning point?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

What was your turning point?

Post by DNR »

This is a thread for members to get to know each other. For neophytes, this thread can help you understand that many of us have been where you are about to go.

The turning point was a time or moment when you realize something. When did you realize that you were a hacker?

Sometimes you only realize this on retrospection, you look back on your life with later wisdom. You are kicking back one day, maybe having a smoke or a drink, and you finally get enlightenment about something that you did or something that happened to you a long time ago.

Sometimes it hits you quick, like a bolt of lightening from the heavens. It hits you and you are like "holy shit I can do this!" Like the day I learned I could type with out looking at the keyboard!

Looking back, I was a hacker even before I knew what one was. In school, I was labeled 'socially immature', 'loner', 'troublemaker', and 'very intelligent'. Later, they used more medical sounding names like "bi-polar', 'attention deficit hyperactivity disorder', 'antisocial' and 'very intelligent'. :twisted:
I built the very first computer crime lab at college. We peiced everything together, four computers, a printer, and a hub. I also figured to use a videocamera (those old big ones) plugged into a video card to capture fingerprints. We could scan them in to the computer, use imaging software to blow it up and print it out. This was before there was digital cameras, and certainly before they were less than $400. They used to invite all the police departments in to see what I did. I did all this, and didn't know I was a hacker. :-99

My college professor, who I owe so much for giving me the chance, was also a hacker. He had helped start the first Detroit PD crime lab. He was very intelligent, but his personality pushed both students and administrators. The lab was messy, there were always several projects going on, we had books stacked all over the place. We had a large budget to buy new electronics, gear, bullets, I learned how to use a polygraph, and video sunglasses here. I don't think he understood what a hacker was, but he was such a geek. 8)

I didn't know I was a hacker until after I started on my college degree for IT/CIS. It was hard, because I didn't identify with anybody. I didn't fit in with any group. I was a loner still. I didn't know why I was such a screw-up sometimes - I would start projects, but not finish them. I could sit on a computer for 16-18 hours and alway find a reason not to do anything with family or friends. I got great grades, 3.7 gpa. But I had to repeat English composition three times - I would write great papers that got A's, but I would skip class to go to computer lab. I made the dean's list, teachers were so proud, but I was hacking their computers and networks behind their backs. Students didn't like me, I would do group projects - alone. I would get high before exams, and set the grading curve so high, the students hated me. :roll:

My turning point has passed, but my journey is far from over..

It doesn't cure the disease, but its nice to know what my 'problem' is.

What was YOUR turning point

-DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

Hmmm, well i worked with computers long before i started to discover the "security" part of the digital world. Since i didn't have Internet for a very long time in the start i never had a virus, nor did i have an ANTI virus :roll:

I can't remember what year or anything, but finally i got a 28K modem ^^ and the fun was finally beginning. I mostly hung around a Swedish newspaper site in the start since it had a chat room, it was amusing fooling around with pedophiles.

Think about a year passed. Then my dad bought a new laptop and i got to use his old one instead of the stationary one that i had before.

Had that one for some time with Windows 98 on it (this was before i even could spell 'Linux' :lol:) and i finally decided to install Windows XP just when it had arrived.

Weeks after that when i was at my aunts house since she had just gotten 100 Mbit down / 10 Mbit up in her apartment.

That is when it happened, i got the msblaster worm ^^ The blaster worm arrived in 2003 when i was 14 i think. That is when i started to get interested in malware and getting all script kiddy like and that is when my mind started to evolve in super high speed since my interest was high, i started to read a lot.

Guess that was my turning point ^^

And two years later, i discovered Suck-o =)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Oh geez.. this is a hard one for me. I never really had a turning point. My whole interest in computer started with wanting to become a hacker. I wanted to be the "hacker of hackers," a kids dream. This all started when i was about 9-10 years old. I began going to websites that were loaded with skiddie tools -- and viruses. I eventually started using programs that would messenger flood people on yahoo, aim, msn, etc. Trojan horses, and virus making programs. I would send them to people that i was pretending to be friends with. Eventually, i actually became their friend, at least the ones that i hadn't completely made hate me.

When i was about 12 or 13, i had a friend on MSN who was a C++ programmer. He was talking to me and after wanting to make my own aim hacking tool (lol) i got interested. C++ was the first programming language i would ever learn. However, once i delved into windows API, i got frustrated and quit. I simply kept up with console programs in C++, which provided useful, but not what i wanted. So i eventually moved onto web-based programming. I had a website... i think it was from xanga.com. I started learning HTML, and joined a website called Hack This Site! There, i began to mature into a real hacker. I was there when HTS had just gotten past it's starting point, when it was still in the few thousands members, if that. (it now has over 100,000). I got involved there, and learned PHP from the people there, and began doing projects for their website. Eventually, their website became so large, that the community was no longer a friendly place to me. There were too many strangers, and they kept flooding in. So I left.

Then, i visited a website called Progenic.com, which is where i found suck-o.com back in '05. I stopped by once, gave a n00bish intro, got scolded by cb, and left for a few months. Began reading and learning, creating my own PHP scripts, and maturing my hacker personality. I then realised that i needed a community that was small, but stable and active. I came back to suck-o. And here i am today :P.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

simulation package

Post by DNR »

In cleaning up the hacking/wardriving forum I moved this thread here.
Maybe others will respond with their stories now that its in the discussion/off-topic forum.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, I think for me there also was no real turning-point... :-k
I've also been a loner in school...in elementary school I've been maybe a little more naughty than usual kids and the teachers (especially one of them) had no better idea to "make be obey" than by humiliating and beating me in front of the class. I guess that was the birth of my hacker mentality, because it lead to a total distrust and hate against authorities, and it showed me that most people are nothing but hypocrites and liars. my best friends in those days were my computers (started with an Atari 600XL, later a C64, then Amiga 500)....I even wrote text-adventures in Basic aged 12, I simply had nothing better to do.
later when I left home I sold all my computer stuff because I needed money, then I've went the way many angry young men go: drugs, alcohol and violence....so i had a pause of about 10 years from computers.
then a guy I met had 2 computers and we played a lot in LAN (mostly Freelancer and Diablo2), and after a while I wanted my own computer again...so I got a used 300MHz P2. I was overwhelmed by the possibilites, I mean, the last box I used was an Amiga500.....and there is was again: my childhood friend the computer was back.
all the guys I knew that had computers were totally stunned how fast I learned...within a short time I already knew a lot more than they did. so my sister said once "hey, you should make this your job!"...so I began a webmastering course of 18 months, but already at the start I knew that servers are what I want to work with.
so most the stuff I learned was not because "I want to be a hacker!", it was because my brain was like a dry sponge sucking up all knowledge I can get....but well, I have to admit that there always was that angry little kid in the back of my head wanting revenge on society, and it's still there....and ever will be.