Remote PC on/off

Computer Hardware and electronics in general.

Is this a Good idea

Yes I want one or know people that would
60%
No I would never wnat this or use it
40%

Total votes: 10

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

floodie is buying this round

Post by DNR »

ah my friend, wait til you meet floodhound, he can find the shortest path between a relay and trigger :wink: he just has that kind of diagram in his mind that we don't possess :twisted:

DNR
"drinking tonight? who's turn is to buy?"
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

n3rd
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by n3rd »

isapiens wrote:is there a possibility to make it cheaper to produce. I think its too expensive for such a gadget, people might not buy it.
its called an investor :)
[img]http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8009/userbar2k.png[/img]

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

great idea!

Post by computathug »

I like this idea and think it has potential mass market. Not for the home user but for business users. Using DNR's idea as well will push it more in the right direction. This will help protect there work and other confidential information. How many times we just up and leave the work station either for the bathroom or for a coffee, even to just answer the door. With a good marketing strategy i think this product might become a good seller if presented to the right people. Keep us posted on your project.

good work and idea matey :wink:

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Thanks Thugg.

I am so swamped with work that i almost forgot this prototype i have sitting here. I need a vacation...
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

just rambling

Post by DNR »

Well I used to own a automotive security company. I have installed security systems into cars, motorcycles, semi-trucks, and even a building.

The real trick behind a good install was to think outside the box. I was probably one of the first to wrap my wires in black electrical tape or convoluted tubing, so it would match all the other wires under the dash board. Ty-rap my stuff down so it doesn't go anywhere.

Customers have asked for special tricks. One was the car that wouldn't start without its cigarette lighter, the lighter plugged in, would complete a circuit for a relay to close and allow the car to start :wink: You could take the lighter component with you to really make it hard to start. This was back in the day of kill-switches. Then others started using the A/C button, or even a power door lock switch.
Thieves eventually caught on and started turning all the knobs and buttons on if the car wouldn't start.

I used to install Code Alarm products, got the hardware for cheap and provided mobile service where I would come to that person's home or work and do it right there. I already called and got nfo on the vehicle and had prepped the modules to be installed.
I would use mercury tilt-switches, pin-switches, and factory installed-triggers like its own door sensors. Imagine the suprise of the other installers when I used trunk ajar triggers rather than going through the hassle of running a wire all the way to the back of the car for a pin-switch.

The mercury tilt-switch was used on the motorcycle, if you even lifted it off the kick stand it would trigger the alarm. The semitrucks, the owner wanted motion sensors installed in the front cabin of the trucks. I don't like motion sensors because a vehicle is a mobile thing, it can move from one noisy RF location to another, and I can't tune it for all those variations. But it worked ok, they wanted it sensitive enough that if anyone stood on the truck and peeked in the driver's window it went off. The truck driver would be sleeping in the sleeper section, away from the motion sensors FOV.

I also did under-vehicle neon, it was awesome if you did the wheelwells along with tubes under the sides, front and back. I had a pick-up truck and my neon scheme was blue fading to white, front to back. It looked like it floated on air. It used a 7500amp transformer.. Now illegal in my state :cry:

For Jetskis or mtn bikes secured in the back of a pick-up truck I'd use a relay completed by a cable that secures the item, if you cut the cable or separated it - the alarm triggered. (don't rely on shock-sensors!)

building security systems are really no different, they are converted to D/C voltage products, just like in cars. The techniques are the same, motion sensors, pin-switches, but add on identification systems and video/remote viewing... Back in my day, it was easy to figure out how to circumvent building security and by-pass the triggers.. :-99

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Ok so far my first tackled hurdle on DNR’s idea [if this works he will get his cut] is that one must have a small encrypted transmitter that has to draw current and transmit data to the PC. I don’t like recharging shit so I think I have a revolutionary idea. A somewhat new concept - Personal area networks. Radiate encrypted data with devices that use little or no battery’s; within a range of 6 feet or less. Sounds cool to me!

more soon...
:wink:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

Like RFID? They use this in gas station... speedpass I think...

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2004-August/058151.html
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Nerdz wrote:Like RFID? They use this in gas station... speedpass I think...

Code: Select all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rfid

http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2004-August/058151.html
Yes i though of this, but the range is limited right? I think the idea is to give you at least a foot or two so that the PC will know for sure when you are away.

Hum ... :roll:
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

I agree. In my office i have my computers one place, disks, another, hardawre another and so on. In a office where people might have to move around a little they might need a little more leeway or it might become tedious having to unlock it every 2 seconds because you had to get a file. If the range was around 5 ft then that would enable people to move around the workspace quite freely and would then only operate once over this distance for reasons like leaving the office, going to the bathroom or going out for coffee. I would say 5 to 7 ft would be about right and would top the device becoming annoying. A bit like having to enter your admin password because the pc has been left for more than 2 minutes when really your still there but using the system next to it but this will have better results. Nice bit of thinking goin on here guys. In a marketing sense, keep it real, keep it affordable and make it usable. Look at the target audience and give them something they want!

nice work :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

Proximity Card Reader - distances

Post by DNR »

MaxiProx Proximity Card Reader

HID's MaxiProx Reader is ideal for installations incorporating parking control and long read range applications. The MaxiProx reader packages all the electronics in one rugged, attractive and easy-to-install housing.

Typical maximum read range:
ProxCard II card - up to 29" (73 cm)
ISOProx II card - up to 20" (50 cm)
ProxKey II keyfob - up to 17" (43 cm)
ProxCard Plus card - up to 13" (25 cm)
SmartProx card - up to 17" (43 cm)
ProxPass - up to 8' (240 cm, 2.4 m)

Maybe someone is going to have to steal one for floodie to reverse engineer... :-k

The card reader can be mounted under the desk, to read a badge secured to the user's waist. Or if it is installed in a PC box/USB port - a wristband on the authorized user. I also liked the thumbprint login pad that they have on certain laptops - so to make it a speedier login, the wristband can do intial authorization, and then the thumbprint scan as final authorization. Heavy security, but more of a touch and go than having to mouse over, type-in a password.

Don't bother stealing the cards,flood will need the card-reader! (they are $400!)

DNR
-