Make your large bill of electricity smaller

DON'T post new tutorials here! Please use the "Pending Submissions" board so the staff can review them first.
luggyx
Life time student
Life time student

Make your large bill of electricity smaller

Post by luggyx »

One cold evening I was sitting against pc in my harm chair and I thought that after this month I will get large bill of electricity :/.
Getting large bills of electricity make me search solutions of this problem. And I find some ^^. Now my bills of electricity are normal :D
So to make your bill of electricity smaller you can:

For all pc users :)

1.Turn off monitors when you not using them

Monitors like old CRT can take a lot of energy so then you not using them turn off.

2.If you have some money change old CRT monitors with LCD monitors

LDC monitors take energy much more efficient that CRT monitors. Three LCD monitors will take energy which need just one CRT monitor :P

3.Shut down unused equipment

Turn off printers scanners and all stuff you not using.

4.Turn off screen saver

If your monitor is turned off, why do you need a screen saver running? All these things do is use up system resources and increase energy usage.
If you do need a screen saver,then make sure that the screen saver just shows a black screen.

5.Move your box into cooler place

If your box will be cool it would need less intensive internal cooling and as well less energy. :)

6.Turn down the brightness on your monitor

The brighter your monitor, the more power it take.

More experienced pc users

1.Replace old hard drives with new, more efficient drives

Newer hard drives can have better efficiency ratings. Also, their components are less worn meaning that they require less power to run.

2.Allow the operating system to shut down unused peripherals

This includes wireless cards, modems, monitors, etc.

3.Allow the operating system to spin down hard drives

Anything that has a motor (i.e. hard drives) automatically consumes more power. The less the motor is used, the less power that is used.

4.Reduce the number of monitors you use

Connect your computers all up to a KVM switch and use just one monitor. Or configure your system to work with VNC or remote desktop from one central system. The fewer monitors you are using, the less power you are consuming.

5.Allow laser printers to go into sleep mode or turn off all together when not in use

Laser printers consume a massive amount of power. At one point, I always knew when my wife was printing to her laser printer because all of the lights in the house dimmed (No joke!). Turn it off or let it go into sleep mode at the very least.

6.Add memory to your computer

The more memory that your system has, the less it needs to use the swap or paging file an the hard drive. The less it uses the hard drive, the less power is consumes.

7.Disable unused services on your computer

Unused services use up resources. By disabling them, you can then free up these resources and reduce the amount of power your system consumes. Optimizing Your PC has some good suggestions.

8.Use smaller applications that take up less memory and less hard drive space

If you only need to edit a text file, use Notepad instead of Word. Pick applications that have specific purposes so that they use less resources in general.

Experts ^^

1.Replace hardware systems with virtual systems

Consolidate your hardware into one big system that runs virtual systems on that machine. Some examples of virtual systems that are available at no cost include Microsoft Virtual PC and VMware server.

2.Replace hard drives with solid state devices such as USB or flash drives

Some operating systems will let you install them on flash or USB drives as opposed to a hard drive. These use way less power!

3.Shut down box automatically after they complete daily maintenance

I have my box performing daily maintenance each night such a defrag and antivirus. Once they are done, they automatically shut themselves down to save power.

Edit:4.Settings in BIOS

Also add the option to enable "suspend to RAM" in BIOS if possible, saves a lot when the system is idling... By Bad_Brain ;)

The less energy we use the better it is for the environment. By computathug ;)

I hope your bills of electricity will become smaller ;)

P.s Sorry for bad english :/

Lyggyx
Last edited by luggyx on 24 Mar 2008, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

good one... :D
I might add the option to enable "suspend to RAM" in BIOS if possible, saves a lot when the system is idling... :wink:

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

nice post luggyx Might I also say add that the less energy we use the better it is for the environment. :wink:

luggyx
Life time student
Life time student

Post by luggyx »

Thank you for good comments :)

P.s This is pc which use just 5W :D. What do you think ? http://www.chippc.com/thin-clients/jack-pc/index.asp

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

luggyx wrote:Thank you for good comments :)

P.s This is pc which use just 5W :D. What do you think ? http://www.chippc.com/thin-clients/jack-pc/index.asp
That's nice, but try and find out what the server uses :lol:

It's a thin client, it can't operate without a server.

luggyx
Life time student
Life time student

Post by luggyx »

After chess tournament I will try find out how much power the server uses . If I find something I will post here ;)

rhysh

Post by rhysh »

good tut

thanks

luggyx
Life time student
Life time student

Post by luggyx »

G-Brain wrote:
luggyx wrote:Thank you for good comments :)

That's nice, but try and find out what the server uses :lol:

It's a thin client, it can't operate without a server.
Servers uses differently amounts of power because you using one or other os with one or another server model.I found some information about servers power uses. :)

Code: Select all

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/5/9/459033a1-6ee2-45b3-ae76-a2dd1da3e81b/Windows_Server_2008_Power_Savings.docx
http://www.cassatt.com/tools/powersavecalc.php - server power savings calculator
http://www-mount.ece.umn.edu/~jjyi/MoBS/2006/program/3A-Economou.pdf -Full-System Power Analysis and Modeling for Server Environments
Sorry :( that was long time while I replied.

Post by 068139 »

[haggling bills down when not completely satisfied]

when we receive a large bill and we're not completely satisfied with it, my girlfriend usually calls up the company and complains for a very long time. It may take a few hours, but not long ago, the water company sent us a £500 bill, she rang up and complained and asked them to investigate it as we only lived at the premise for 3 months (so should have owed about £120 as it's £40 per month), anyway, they said the bill was £80, we paid it, they accepted, now we owe them nothing as we're off their db and saved £40.

she also managed to swindle a £30/month phone bill down to £25 because the phone service was offline for 1 day!:lol: so don't let company's push you about because if you're not satisfied or think something is wrong, ring them up, you can save a few quid. Recession and everything.

good tutorial :wink:

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

computathug wrote:nice post luggyx Might I also say add that the less energy we use the better it is for the environment. :wink:
This is a fallacy, where I live at least. Up the river 20 minutes is a large Hydroelectric Dam, down the river about 40 minutes is an even larger Hydroelectric damn. I run off pure green energy, my friend - so I will continue to use my 2 computers, server and laptop connected to my 3 monitors that are set to bright. On top of that, my computers also serve as a source of heat for the cold winter, so I save on fossil fuels.

So I argue, running my computers saves the environment. :D