Oh god please NOOO!!!

Stuff that don´t fit in the other categories.
Xonet

Oh god please NOOO!!!

Post by Xonet »

Hi guys here i am with yet another problem btw i really appreciate all the help.

I`ll try to tell the story as short as possible but it wont be easy.

So when i got my pc like 6 months ago, i installed windows xp home, ofcourse i had to register it but i didnt, tried like 20 serials and 100+ cracks(ok maybe thats a bit much but i really tried a lot) after a while i got so tired of it i just gave up, so every 30 days i simply put the HD of my old pc in this one, copied it all there and reinstalled windows. Then i thought what if i choose the option "delete old windows installation files and install again" well something like that, it just meant that i wouldnt have to format and put all the files on my old pc. I did that a few times, everytime i did it a new folder was created under documents and settings with the new username. I know this is a really stupid way of working but only now i realise how lazy i was, so my main files were still in the old user folder but now after the last time when i try to acces that file it simply says "Toegang geweigerd"well thats in dutch dunno how its correctly translated, so the problem is (please dont kill me :( ) i didnt make any back ups

Theres 5Gb of music
20+Gb movies
20+GB applications
and lots of personal documents

when i goto the C to properties it still says i used 95GB wich cant be just the things i have now but the folder is 0KB large and when i search for music i cant find it, it has to be somewhere but i cant acces it

Can anyone help me with this or is it to late to save my lazy ass? if you can youll be the Macgyver of computer sciences.

btw ive got win pro with working serial now so it wont happen again
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

/opens swiss army knife

get getdataback in the useful programs-section, install it on a different partition than the one with the files on it and read the partition with it (best use the "lost files"-option too). if this has no success you have to read the whole physical disk, so you would need 2 HDDs. I used this program a couple of times already and it worked fine for me... :wink:

/closes swiss army knife

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

yea good program it too, depending though, www.runtime.org has a versions specifically tailored for NTFS or FAT filesystems, just FYI :wink:

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

all 60TB? 8O :lol:

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

thxn guys got all my stuff back but damn that took long, like 2 hours.
btw i also got all my pr0n back, allthoug its just 10gb.

but as allways with computers when uve just fixed one problem, another one shows up. And this time i really feel like picking up my computer and either throw it out the window or smash it with whatever i can find. So once more i have to consult the great spirits of suck-o.

So ive got all my stuff, put it on my old HD.

Now i wanted to install win pro but after formatting and copying the files, when it has to reboot it reboots to the first part of the installation and continues to do this, when i try to boot from my HD it just reboots every 5 seconds, when i put my old HD in with a perfect working version of windows it does the same, in the bios it detects the HD's but it doesnt seem to boot off them. With the win home cd i used before it does the same thing, but ive done this like 10 times before and it worked perfectly, anyone got an idea?

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

seems to me like your getting some sort of error in the boot sector that makes the system reboot automatically, i think weve discuss somethings similiar to this before, ill brb

ok back

try turning off automatic reboot when an error occurs (i think its f8 when you start up your computer?)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;244617

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

ive tried that and then i see a BSOD saying theres something wrong with my harddisk or controllers, but since the same thing happens to a perfect working hd so i dont think its my hd. If i had to guess id say theres something wrong with my motherboard allthough i dont see how that could have happened cuz i didnt do anything.

mystikblaze
Infinite Haze
Infinite Haze

Post by mystikblaze »

Last edited by mystikblaze on 21 Jun 2009, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

even motherboards wear off, so how old is it?
but first you should install again, a friend of mine needed 4 attempts until XP runned properly on his system....:wink: I have IDE controller errors displayed in the error log of my system too, it shouldn´t be able to boot at all but it runs fine...so you can´t really rely on these messages anyway imo.

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

@mystikblaze, i allready have my data back that isnt the problem anymore

@bad brain

ive tried to reinstall like 5-6 times now, the mother board is only 6 months old, ive been posting like hell on the msi boards for the last 2 days but nobody seems to have an answer :( and the service isnt really great at msi im still waiting for an answer

i really cant take it anymore, im sick so i cant go outside and now i dont have a pc, all i can do atm is watch tv all day long when theres nothing on so im pretty pissed at the moment.

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

ok guys so i took my pc to my pc-techniques (spelling?!) teacher, he just put another sata hd in and it worked, i was like wtf 8O 8O 8O cuz i had put my other ide hd in and it didnt boot at all, he said its my hd probobly a virus or so, but then i was thinking, the last thing i did before rebooting and installing windows was GETDATABACK so something probobly went wrong with getdataback, does anyone know of a hd recovery tool or something that allows you to scan a hd from the other and see if something is wrong and if its repairable(dunno if this word exists) or not? at elast now im kinda happy cuz i know what the problem is

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

hm, that´s weird. but I think your teacher is right and it´s caused by a virus which probably destroyed the MBR of the HDD. GetDataBack can´t cause such problems because it´s just reading out the raw data without editing it in any way.
first you should try to repair the MBR:
- boot from XP CD
- chose repair
- enter the recovery console
- run the FIXMBR command

if afterwards the HDD is recognized again by the system you should do a virus scan. do NOT use the HDD as the one to boot from, make sure to connect it as slave and run the scan from a clean system!

xtheblack9x
suck-o-fied!
suck-o-fied!

Post by xtheblack9x »

bad_brain wrote:/opens swiss army knife

get getdataback in the useful programs-section, install it on a different partition than the one with the files on it and read the partition with it (best use the "lost files"-option too). if this has no success you have to read the whole physical disk, so you would need 2 HDDs. I used this program a couple of times already and it worked fine for me... :wink:

/closes swiss army knife
niffty ill have to download that and keep it in my collection in case something like that happens to me :)