working a remote desktop app behind a router

No explicit questions like "how do I hack xxx.com" please!
SlyTX

working a remote desktop app behind a router

Post by SlyTX »

Im working with the PI rat 2.3.2 and have seemed to forgot how exactly the part im at works. Im at no-ip but being on a laptop behind a wireless router im not sure what ip i should put in. ipconfig shows 192.168.1.100 for my laptop, but of course the real ip on the primary computer, should i be using the real ip adress for no-ip? do i still need to forward ports.? i remember i did that last time. all help apprec

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I don't quite understand how you have it setup, but.

The only thing no-ip does is to give you an easy to remember name that it redirects to an IP, if i am not mistaken there is a program for it as well that reports the IP to the DNS every time it changes, thus making it work with dynamic IP's.

So even if you use no-ip, you would still have to forward ports.

But, is this in your own private LAN, or is it over the WAN to another network? Because that would make a big difference =P
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

if it's a LAN:
use the IP 192.168.1.100, no NAT needed as long as the 2 systems are in the same subnet.

if it's via internet:
use the Ppublic IP, private IPs like 192.168.x.x are not routed on the internet. get your public IP with ipconfig /all or look at http://www.whatismyip.com
because NAT is needed (public IP to private IP) you have to use port forwarding.

:wink:

SlyTX

Post by SlyTX »

thanks for the replies guys, i hope yall aernt confused. I am on a LAN at my house to be more specific, and i get on the internet on my laptop through the router (Wireless Network Connection linksys is my connections name, if that matters). I did an ipconfig /all and its showing this

So from here i beleive i do need to use the public IP when setting up the server, or when setting up my no-ip accoount. I am on a cable connection which i beleive should be static. How can i tell if they are on the same subnet? Also, when i want to forward ports ive gotta get into my routers config through my browser, but i dont remember user and pass for the router to do so, anyway i can get around this?

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

For default pass for routers check: http://www.phenoelit-us.org/dpl/dpl.html

If you have changed it then reset the router to fabric defaults...

Also i uploaded your image to http://imageshack.us/ since the link got corrupted on the board.
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

linksys wifi router

Post by DNR »

typical default user/pass for linksys is admin / admin

There should be a pinhole in the front or back of the device to use a paperclip to do a hard re-boot - it will reset everything back to default settings.
Use the linksys technical support online to find your manual.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

SlyTX

Post by SlyTX »

Muchos gracias for the image assistance and help. I am still unable to get the test connection to pass at this moment, however. I have gotten into my linksys router config and as far as I can tell, have forwarded port 3465.

In the port forwarding configuration within the router I have an application setup to forward port starting at 3465, and ending at 3465. Protocol is set to both, and Ip address is set to 192.168.1.100, and enable is checked. When I click save settings, I get the message "Settings are successful", and click continue. I then open up my PI server configuration and attempt to test the connection. Using both my LAN IP (192.168.1.100) and also attempting it with the public IP, 24.1xx.169.1xx, both result in failures. Is anyone able to tell if my laptop is on the same subnet as my primary PC with the picture I posted earlier? If not, how can I tell if they are? And yes, I am setting up the PI server to listen on 3465, the same port Ive attempted to forward.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Hmm, i didn't read over this whole topic, but try setting your port forwarding to 192.168.1.108, instead of 192.168.1.100, because i think that it's an eight in the picture. I could be wrong though, since i only ready the last post...

*yawn* g'night...
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

SlyTX

Post by SlyTX »

Gogeta, i dont know how i didnt notice that before, but i got it. That did it. Thanks to everyone again.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

I'm glad it worked for you. You're welcome.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

it was right there

Post by DNR »

Actually gog that was pretty good. That number was 108 :wink: not bad for a sleepy head. For me, I missed the obvious answer right there - assuming it was something already understood or tried, assuming the problem was more technical or noobish.

A good days work for an admin.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.