Favorite Programs/apps/add ons/what have you

Don´t be shy, Linux is fun! =)
visser
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Favorite Programs/apps/add ons/what have you

Post by visser »

So i recently dual booted my lappy to run xp and Ubuntu gutsy gibbon. Loving it already. However i was kind of curious what i should instll to her now that ive got her all set up. What are The suck-o comunity's favorite programs for linux? anything can go here. themes desktops programs emulators anything. i want something to try out and something to learn!

ill start. the two that i was most curious about and plan on looking into are:
1 Wine- simply put, allows you to run windows programs on linux!
2 Aircrack-ng - allows you to sniff WEP wireless packets and then crack the password.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

bluefish....real great editor:
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
should be available through the Ubuntu repositories... :wink:

visser

Post by visser »

Awesome BB thanks. im a little suprised your the only one to add to the list tho! lol. well hey, now its three programs strong!

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Here is a nice list.

Post by Big-E »

Eclipse IDE for PHP/Java Programming.
Netcat Can do anything network related with it. Can even feed you food. (no, not really but you should learn to use it) you can also look for Socat which is a newer implimentation supporting SSL, SOCKS and other socket types.
tcpdump Great packet capturing utility.
Amarok Great music player, also interfaces with an Ipod.
VirtualBox Virtual Host to run various distros when I want to try something out, usually boot something like backtrack 2/3 in this.

..that should keep you busy for a bit.

visser

Post by visser »

that will definatly keep me busy for a week, however i have been messing around with the visual aspect of ubuntu. I am in love with the compiz fusion stuff. its so flipping cool! you dont see windows doing that :P ive been able to make the workspaces (am i using the right terms) switch and such. i just cant get the full out cube effect?? any help with that?

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

the best app on any platform imo is VLC, plays anything, no matter what file, no matter what platform, no bs, no bling bling, lightweight and extremely versatile. Every app should be so perfect like VLC.

Specifically for linux i would have to say, i absolutely love amarok. It's one of those programs id switch to linux for, if it wasnt for school i still have to use windows.
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Post by Lyecdevf »

Let's start with a few torrent programs. You should get Ktorrent which is a great application. There are other torrent applications as well which you might want to test out and give us some feedback. There is Rtorrent and Qtorrent.

Than you can try some IRC programs. The easiest is Xchat but you may also experiment a bit with BitchX and irssi. I am not sure I speeled the last one right. It is either with two "s" or two "i."

You can also try AVG for linux or try the ClamAV. They are both good!

For virtualization try out virtualbox, Qemu, OpenVZ, Vware player & workstation, and Zen. That should keep you up at night!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal