Windows XP automatic update on shutdown

Problems? Post here...
Demian
forum buddy
forum buddy

Windows XP automatic update on shutdown

Post by Demian »

How do I keep a PC running Windows XP with Service Pack 2 from automatically installing downloaded updates on shutdown?

CommonStray
Forum Assassin
Forum Assassin

Post by CommonStray »

the auto update on shutdown is a service running on XP, goto run type SERVICES.MSC and stop it

Demian
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Demian »

SERVICES.MSC allowed only to disable the whole Windows Update service for me. I still want to install the updates manually if I regard them as useful. However, I found the relevant settings under GPEDIT.MSC -> "Computer Configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "Windows Components" -> "Windows Update"

It's somehow nice how Micro$oft hides away such settings...

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

?? What about My Computer -> Propertie -> Automitc Updates and then choose what you want?
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Stavros
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post by Stavros »

That should work. The computer I'm on is set to notify, but do not install and it hasn't installed a hotfix yet. It's set to the annoying notify. Is it a wise idea to go ahead an patch it? I don't just click on every link/banner I see and I'm wary/borderline paranoid about links and e-mail from people I don't know (not that I give out my e-mail).

Nerdz
The Architect
The Architect
Location: #db_error in: select usr.location from sucko_member where usr.id=63;

Post by Nerdz »

It's not only a matter of banner,web browsing... It also about all the service which MS set by default... like netbios 8O
Give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
Learn a man to fish, you feed him for life.

Demian
forum buddy
forum buddy

Post by Demian »

nerdzoncrack wrote:?? What about My Computer -> Propertie -> Automitc Updates and then choose what you want?
I set it up in the Properties only to download updates, but not to install them automatically. It would still install them on shutdown. In GPEDIT.MSC however, I could even disable the annoying reboot notification after updating. Nice toy if you're forced to use Windoze...