Softice help please?

Questions about programming languages and debugging
Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Softice help please?

Post by Swan »

I recently installed Softice and have been encountering problems. With the settings of SI, you can configure when and how it runs, I have tried:

System "Starts SoftICE with Windows. This mode is ideal for application developers."

It does not automatically load up, as it should.

Automatic does not work either, again this is supposed to load with Windows.

Ok.....so I thought Id need to do it the hard(er) way, You must start SoftICE manually each time you need to use it...this does not work either.

The big problem is whenever I try to operate/run softice via the DOS shell, the computer locks up completly, the screen freezes, not even the cursor will move, and i cant even CTL+ALT+DEL my way of out of it.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am using Windows XP btw.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

hey swan, just done a bit of digging around for ya as i have never used this program but take a look here

http://www.exetools.com/forum/printthread.php?t=4947

hope this helps solve any problems you have.

If not il do the next best thing and download it myself and run through it to see if i can find the errors myself.

Let me know how you get on buddy :wink:

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

locked your keys inside?

Post by DNR »

Hey swan,
You said it worked before? Can you reinstall SoftIce? I had an issue with an app, it worked before, but then I later set my firewall (which can also block processes on the host) higher - and locked my program from starting.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

sorry DNR, first time installing it....and it doesnt work.

There are conflicts between XP SP 2and softice, though I have kasperskys the now which is very diligent in blocking stuff out

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

well if you think thats the problem swan try and uninstall kaspersky before installing softice and reinstall afterwards. Hope the links i posted in IRC help or as i said i shall run through the prog with ya tomorrow bud.

Laters and out

*off topic*

Its the weekend and theres a party going on right here,
lets celebrate, and have a good time.....celebration 8)

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

try another?

Post by DNR »

Try another version of softice as well. Maybe the file is corrupted.

Its nice when companies put this disclaimer on their websites
SST does not guarantee the functionality or the usefulness of the SoftICE software.
Good luck!
DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

Anyone had much expereince with virtual machines? Thought that perhaps using a virtual OS might work.

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

If you're talking about constantly running a virtual machine that runs softice, that will not work. A virtual machine and any programs running inside of it are restricted to that virtual machine and aren't capable of affecting the outside environment. Of course, the whole point of hacking is to manipulate software and/or hardware in a way that it isn't meant to function... :roll:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...