Ever get tired of it?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Xonet

Ever get tired of it?

Post by Xonet »

Hi guys, i'm 19 right now and in 3 weeks i graduate, or at least i hope so.
So I have to decide what i'll be doing then, i'll be doing higher studies but i have to decide what exactly. Computers, coding, experimenting,... has been my main hobby since I was 11 years and got my own computer. But before i start difficult studies for 3 or more years, i'm really doubting if i want to be doing this as a profession, of if i'll even be having fun doing it in 2 years, and i really dont want to fall in a 9 to 5 job, coding all day.
There are other things i'm really interested in, history, political sciences, filosophy,...

At times like right now (just before the exames, the ideal time :P ) i get really tired of it (IT) but in a month it might be my biggest passion again.
So my question to you guys is, how did you choose what studies to do, and do you have moments that you really can't be bothered with computers for a few weeks?

Maybe i'm just a normal teenager having doubts on what to do with my life, but hey, i cant help it :P
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

Swan
Knight of the Sword
Knight of the Sword

Post by Swan »

I am lucky...I dont deal with coding on a full time basis, taking it up as hobby rather than a career. Law is quite demanding, but I enjoy them both because they make me think and empower me. My own personal belief is that every man has his own destiny, and it is a case of finding what it is. Remember, if you are unhappy with computers as a career, there maybe something else to do. Dont box yourself in, and remember life is what you make of it!

floodhound2
∑lectronic counselor
∑lectronic counselor

Post by floodhound2 »

Hey do what you love. This is my motto.

Most of my life I thought I was not smart enough to do what I always wanted to do. Then one day I bucked up, went to college and found out that I was truly one of the smartest. Now I love my job.

Jobs that I had that were horrible

- welder
- military
- mechanic
- construction
- labor in general

SO DO WHAT YOU LOVE...
₣£ΘΘĐĦΘŮŇĐ

G-Brain
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

Post by G-Brain »

If you get bored of it, you're probably doing it wrong.

What exactly do you code, and in what programming language? Ever tried learning more languages? Used version control systems? What about the software you use every day? Your web browser, your e-mail client, your spam filter, your window manager, your distribution, ever hacked them or are they 100% perfect and is there no way to improve them? Ever started an open source project? Ever looked into artificial intelligence? There are loads of cool stuff you can do using your coding skills and there is much to learn.

You can also combine your interests, like contributing to a website about History or Philosophy. Pick a website you like about one of your non-IT interests, think of how it could be improved, then offer them help by e-mail.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

go enjoy life

Post by DNR »

Xonet
It is not about coding.
At 19, you do want to shape other parts of yourself. You still love computers but that void you feel is just life pulling at you in all directions. You'll also deal with a relationship at your age, as well as maybe moving, a new job, and exploration - of hobbies and careers. There will be times when you just don't feel like sitting at the console.

Kind of think of it as Japanese Martial Arts - the Japanese school I went to had the right idea - create a well-rounded individual. Hand-to-hand fighting was more than concentrating on punching and kicking, you also had grappling. Then we had weapons training. But, the school also focused on rituals, like the tea ceremony, meditation, and language skills.

Hacking should be the same way - you should strive to be a well-rounded person. If computers are your true love, you will always return to it. When you are worldly and experience life outside the keyboard - you can bring it into your realm of computers. All of the real members here are unique - not because of their computer skills, but the personality, flavor, and other life experiences they share online.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

bad_brain
Site Owner
Site Owner

Post by bad_brain »

xonet, I don't think there is one job in the world that is NOT annoying sometimes....even Paris Hilton sometimes don't like her "job".. :lol:

and hey, would be a waste if you head towards a 9 to 5 job with the qualification level you have after your studies, you'll have plenty of options then... :wink:

ayu
Staff
Staff

Post by ayu »

I burn for computers, they are my life....

Ok that's a lie, but I do spend most of my time in front of a computer and I almost never get bored of it, well, only if I can't decide on a project to start with, you see, it's like a routine I have to keep myself busy, because I get bored VERY easily. So I try to keep myself busy with projects of all kinds and therefore learn a lot in a "continuous" way.

But of course, it can be to much sometimes, and sometimes I will just sit in front of the computer and not do anything at all (more then watch Anime). And to defeat this boredness, I like to keep myself busy in the garden and with the animals (seeing that I live on a farm). Then after a while, I can go back in again and continue what I was doing =)

I wouldn't want to work as a gardener or something like that to be honest, but it's good to keep my mind going on something else than my computers.

So, what am I doing in a few months? I'm going to Uni to study "Software Engineering" =)
"The best place to hide a tree, is in a forest"

Xonet

Post by Xonet »

ok, time to make this thread alive again.

Well first of all let me share my joy and tell you all i've graduated and am now looking into what to study at university, also may i brag and tell that i won a prize 8) :D ow yeah i got the prize for being the best student in "zedenleer" dunno how to literally translate that but it would be morals/ethics or something like that.

I'm still not certain what i'll do but chances are big i'll be doing philosophy, i'm going to the university of Ghent tomorrow :).
Computers have allways been my biggest hobby, but the thought of sitting behind a computer all day and coming home and spending time on your hobby, being computers, well i think i'd get insane very fast.

Anyway thanks for all the good advice guys and i'll let y'all know what i'll be doing :wink:
You cant spell slaughter without laughter.

Big-E
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Big-E »

Variety is the spice of life. I for one love computers, I can work on one all day at a job and then come home and work on a personal project and have no problems - It just fits to me. However, with that being said I am also the following:

Drinker (Connoisseur of Beers, you could say)
Fisherman (Fly Fishing..also tie my own flys.)
Hunter
OBSESSED with Rugby and most other sports.
and finally, I enjoy some good physical labour from time to time building random shit..be it a stone walkway to a giant wooden fence.

Basically, what I am trying to say is you can't direct your life at just one thing..and good round skill set is important to both your mental intellect and metal well-being.

Also, if you really want some fun you can apply your hacker mentality to all the things listed above...creating ingenious ways of doing things...no tech hacking, it`s called..and our ancestors perfected it.