ISP accessing my personal stuff?

...let us know what you think, free speech!
Uner
Fame ! Where are the chicks?!

ISP accessing my personal stuff?

Post by Uner »

After getting arrested yesterday, I'm getting paranoid about authorities... my ISP to be precise. As it was my first arrest, I'm not really in big trouble.

The investigator told me he's going to confiscate my PC to check my chat history and everything. I don't have any history, but if he confiscates my PC... bullshit.

I doubt he's gonna confiscate my PC... if he was to do it, he would of done it already... wouldn't of gave me a chance to delete my history.

As for the alleged 'crime', I told him the truth, so I dont care much. The problem is, I got tons of convos about hacking.... and software, if you knwo what I mean.

So, I was wondering... does my ISP have access to my IRC / IM conversations? Are they gonna check the sites I visit, what I download, ever since I got arrested?

To the best of my knowledge, they can't access my IRC / IM, since the convos themselves are stored at the IRC server (IRC Server side data).

I'm fucking scared. Is there a possibility that the MPD (Police) keylogged me? Oh fuck...

I've never been so fucking paranoid. Holy. Shit. Fuck.

Sorry for the unorganized post and confusing post... but fucking hell... can't think straight right now... I need to change my fucking mind, damn

Should I format my HDD? Oh god.

computathug
Administrator
Administrator

Post by computathug »

Formatting the hd will do nothing to stop them. I would also not want to lose any info i had on that drive either. If you are running on short time as they can come anytime i would insert a spare hd and install that as fast as i probably can. Depending on your ISP they might also be able to get other info but i suppose this depends on how serious the offence is and how far they want to push the subject. There is the poissibility to crypt the drive and hide sensitive information but this also depends on how long you have got if the clock is ticking. If they were serious about your PC the chances are that they would have picked it up by now and not given any chance to destroy any evidence. They could also just be waiting for a confiscation order depending on how your law system operates.

Good luck buddy :wink:

Gogeta70
^_^
^_^

Post by Gogeta70 »

Read the topic on piracy. I think it's in the general computing forum.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It works on my machine...

Uner

Post by Uner »

computathug wrote:Formatting the hd will do nothing to stop them. I would also not want to lose any info i had on that drive either. If you are running on short time as they can come anytime i would insert a spare hd and install that as fast as i probably can. Depending on your ISP they might also be able to get other info but i suppose this depends on how serious the offence is and how far they want to push the subject. There is the poissibility to crypt the drive and hide sensitive information but this also depends on how long you have got if the clock is ticking. If they were serious about your PC the chances are that they would have picked it up by now and not given any chance to destroy any evidence. They could also just be waiting for a confiscation order depending on how your law system operates.

Good luck buddy :wink:
The crime isn't that serious, imo. I (accompanied by a friend) just found out the school wasn't locked, and decided to have a walk inside. Next thing I know, I'm under arrest.
I do have 2 HDDs put up on this PC, but I won't have time to take it off when I see them coming.

I doubt they'll confiscate my PC, but I'm still paranoid as fuck.
Thanks alot for the reply, I truly appreciate it.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

B&E>computer crime?

Post by DNR »

The crime isn't that serious, imo. I (accompanied by a friend) just found out the school wasn't locked, and decided to have a walk inside. Next thing I know, I'm under arrest.
As it was my first arrest, I'm not really in big trouble.

The investigator told me he's going to confiscate my PC to check my chat history and everything
Hmm, Breaking and Entering the school? It doesn't matter if the door wasn't locked. When you decided to walk inside what time was it? Did you carry anything outside?
First arrest? Yes, you are in big trouble.

Now, how did a B&E at a school lead to some investigator asking about your computers and internet chat? Did you blab about the crime online? Before you committed it?

One reason he hasn't seized your computers (if he wants them) is he needs to wait for a warrant. That can take up to weeks. The same goes for a summons to your ISP for your logs - their logs are mainly limited to IPs you connected to, how long, ports and data types. They could get into recording all of your packets but thats something to be pre-arranged and pretty high level stuff.

I would still clean house, get rid of anything you don't want anyone to see - no matter how well you think you hid it.

DNR

So, not sure your crime fits the warrant for seizing your computers.
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Lyecdevf
cyber Idi Amin
cyber Idi Amin

Re: B&E>computer crime?

Post by Lyecdevf »

DNR wrote:Now, how did a B&E at a school lead to some investigator asking about your computers and internet chat? Did you blab about the crime online? Before you committed it?
I was wondering about the same thing. I was a bit shy to ask though!
We will either find a way, or make one.
- Hannibal

Uner

Re: B&E>computer crime?

Post by Uner »

DNR wrote: Now, how did a B&E at a school lead to some investigator asking about your computers and internet chat? Did you blab about the crime online? Before you committed it?
It's a long story. He think it's conspiracy.
They think I actually planned to break n enter in the school with friends over the internet.

DNR
Digital Mercenary
Digital Mercenary

DNR gives law advice

Post by DNR »

Right.
If you wandered by and just happened upon a open door at the school - thats different from planning a mission to enter the school. All it takes is your buddy saying something like this "It was his idea, he told me about it last night on AIM"

Conspiracy has several points - you plan the crime beforehand, you recruit someone else into a crime, and you commit an overt act that proves you intended to go through with your plan.

Conspiracy is a separate charge to the B & E and can add weight to your sentencing.

Your best bet is to be remorseful - plead for leniency - "it was a stupid senior/freshman joke" Tell the judge you realize how this charge could effect your adult life.

DNR
-
He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in Darkness, and Light dwells with him.

Still_Learning

Post by Still_Learning »

Everybody does stupid shit when they are a kid, if this is your first arrest charge, they will probuly cut you some slack. Just plead the 5th (dont say anything stay quiet) and make them prove you did it, if you are convicted with evidence or your friend that was with you snitches on you then just explain you apologize , and this is your first offensive , you want to own up to it and do your time and it will never happen again. Be very respectful in the court room to the judge, wear a nice suit get a good lawyer if you can afford one.

*speaking from experience*